Paris - Tips, Ideas etc!

Soldato
Right, my girlfriend is taking me to Paris next week for my birthday, we're there for 5 nights and staying in the Latin District.

It's the first time I've been to Paris, actually, to France for that matter. So if anybody has any suggestions on attractions, entertainment, tips or anything to say that will help, which I might not know, then it'd be appreciated.

I'm 19, and she's 18 but we're both pretty open to most things interesting.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Soldato
jakeke said:
Right, my girlfriend is taking me to Paris next week for my birthday, we're there for 5 nights and staying in the Latin District.

It's the first time I've been to Paris, actually, to France for that matter. So if anybody has any suggestions on attractions, entertainment, tips or anything to say that will help, which I might not know, then it'd be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I went there for my honeymoon, we did the obvious touristy things (when we had time ;)), top of the Eiffel Tower at night, the Louvre (2/3's of it, a day wasn't enough), boat down the Seine, Notre Dame, Sacre Coeur, none of it was particularly my kind of thing but I really enjoyed it and the Metro is probably easier to navigate than the London Underground despite my lack of French speaking ability.

Associate
Try a steak tartare :p

Anh seriously, I've been there twice this year and would love to go back. There's loads of tourist stuff to do, like the Louvre etc. I don't think I've ever had a bad meal over there, so you'll have fun there as well.

Associate
If you're open minded go here for brunch, it's very good fun Curieux Spaghetti Bar. My girlfriend and I love going there though on a Sunday though it can get quite crowded and you may need to book.

Tea at Laudree (for the macaroons) or at Angelina (for the hot chocolate)

Walk around, the centre of Paris is very small so you don't really need to use the metro.

The view from the roof of the L'Institut du Monde Arabe is excellent. They've got a bar and a terrace.

Soldato
OP
Cheers so far, we're looking for some more restaurant recommendations, especially some nice cafe's for breakfast as I don't think we'll be getting that in the hotel.

SunaseIPs said:
Shes taking you to Paris thats nice but is she paying?

Aye, she's paying for flights and accomodation. I was pretty much shocked at this :p.

Permabanned
jakeke said:

I thought she would be busy with the interviews she's doing upon her release?

jakeke said:

She likes dogs and fashion. Urm, don't say anything about prison etc, will probably just upset her.

jakeke said:

Try making a movie, Paris is good at that.

Soldato
5 nights? and she's paying? Christ she must be made of money, it cost me and the misses a bomb for 3 nights a couple of weeks ago, even in a two start place.

As has been stated, the centre is tiny. Walk 5 mins in most directions and you'll come to another monument of sorts.

If you go to the Louvre, expect to get lost. Even with the maps and my superior male map reading skills we managed to keep getting lost in that place, it's huge :eek:

Try and sneak a picture of the Mona Lisa, we got one :p

Associate
The best kept secret in Paris is the Montparnasse. The building itself isn't much to right home about, but the views from the roof are breathtaking.

Don't make the mistake that most tourists do and visit the Eiffel tower at night to see the views of Paris, the reason being you can't see the building you are standing on.

Instead get on the tube to Montparnasse, it's a huge underground station so it's easy to locate on a map, go out the station and you won't miss the 60 story tower. Get a ticket to the roof terrace about 10 euros. Enjoy the view of Paris and the Eiffel tower being lit up.

It's a breathtaking thing to do in Paris that 95% of the people who visit Paris don't do, so it won't be overcrowded.

Enjoy.

Soldato
digipeep said:
The best kept secret in Paris is the Montparnasse. The building itself isn't much to right home about, but the views from the roof are breathtaking.

Don't make the mistake that most tourists do and visit the Eiffel tower at night to see the views of Paris, the reason being you can't see the building you are standing on.

Instead get on the tube to Montparnasse, it's a huge underground station so it's easy to locate on a map, go out the station and you won't miss the 60 story tower. Get a ticket to the roof terrace about 10 euros. Enjoy the view of Paris and the Eiffel tower being lit up.

It's a breathtaking thing to do in Paris that 95% of the people who visit Paris don't do, so it won't be overcrowded.

Enjoy.
Yeah we went up there, had a glass of wine while we were there!

Piccie! (excuse the reflection, it wasn't half difficult to get a non-blurry picture)

p6110377bu1.jpg

And here are a few more while I'm at it, been trying to find an excuse to post them up so sorry to hijack a little! hehe.

p6130419is8.jpg

p6130423ak7.jpg

Taken from the very top of the tower, while I was thoroughly bricking it... that's Montparnasse at the top of the image I think.
p6120406wn4.jpg

And finally, see if you can guess which competitor this is a French branch of
p6120378cs5.jpg

Associate
I wasn't too keen on the Eiffel tower lots of gypsys asking for my liver and kidney's.

Disneyland was good though and surprisingly the food and drink isn't a rip off. Take an empty bottle of water.

Get a metro 5 or 7 day pass as the metro is brilliant and expect to pay a lot for wine.

Associate
Welshy, the day view from the Eiffel tower does in deed show the Montparnasse. Once Parisians saw the tower being built, they passed laws that no other Skyscrapers could be built in the cty limits. They build skyscrapers now in La Defense.

Back
Top Bottom