Parking argument

Soldato
I've just had a bit of shouty back and forth with a friends neighbour about my parking spot. I thought I was being perfectly reasonable allowing room to his driveway but he wasn't having it.

My car was parked exactly like the Golf in the pic below. I got out and started to take some items from the boot to my friends house, when the neighbour (yellow arrow) started to shout from his front door for me to move my car away as I was blocking him in.

tesp5gW.jpg

https://goo.gl/maps/ATtvnZAp9S42

It's a public road with no markings, so I thought anything goes as long as no one gets blocked in. Not that I would do that anyway.

Was I being selfish ? I gave him the old line about getting a bus through ... it didn't calm him down.

Soldato
OP
No dropped kerb so shouldn't be parking on the drive or in the garage there.

Really ? that's good. I'll keep this in mind for my next visit if I need to park there, although I'd rather not park there again to spare myself and my friend the embarrassment.

Man of Honour
I'm assuming he's simply coming out of there at a suboptimal angle, maybe he has more than one car in the drive which prevents him straightening up, otherwise there is loads of room. He also should be glad people are leaving room at all, as has been said if I was looking at that place to buy I wouldn't see that as a usable driveway and garage.

Man of Honour
He bought a house that was built when cars were a second thought and if not often smaller. Modern world means everyone has cars and parking them becomes contentious in places like this. Sadly people get a bit techy outside their house because most of the time they have control but when people turn up it gets a bit "I live here you don't so I'm right". I can understand that, but the fact is looking at that he has a small house, not built with cars in mind on a tight street and he is going to have to suck it up. I tend to take this into account as I can understand his mindset even if I don't agree with it so I might if the option allowed have agreed to unload and move my car to a place with a bit more space.

Soldato
OP
He bought a house that was built when cars were a second thought and if not often smaller. Modern world means everyone has cars and parking them becomes contentious in places like this. Sadly people get a bit techy outside their house because most of the time they have control but when people turn up it gets a bit "I live here you don't so I'm right". I can understand that, but the fact is looking at that he has a small house, not built with cars in mind on a tight street and he is going to have to suck it up. I tend to take this into account as I can understand his mindset even if I don't agree with it so I might if the option allowed have agreed to unload and move my car to a place with a bit more space.

I can understand the mindset as well, which is why I am always careful when parking. I wouldn't like someone to block me in either, I get it.

I just had to have someone else give me their opinion as I was starting to doubt myself. My friend said don't worry about it as he is a bit of a loud mouth. Well I agree.

Man of Honour
Sadly you can rarely pick your neighbours and there is nowt as strange as folk. I tend to find people with lots of time on their hands are the worst.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
I wonder if the council care that he has a garage and drives over the footway without a drop kerb in place;

https://www.tameside.gov.uk/kerbdropping#need

If you intend to drive a vehicle over the footway into your driveway off a highway, then you will need a dropped kerb. If you do not have dropped kerb, you must not drive over the footway. If you do so, you are breaking the law and enforcement action could be taken to prevent such practice.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Soldato
Loads of room.

Plus it's not sanctioned, so you could block it completely and there's nothing they can do about it. I wonder if they even have planning permission for the garage...

Soldato
OP
Sadly you can rarely pick your neighbours and there is nowt as strange as folk. I tend to find people with lots of time on their hands are the worst.

Yeah true. Thankfully my friend is a few doors down so not an immediate neighbour.

Loads of room.

Plus it's not sanctioned, so you could block it completely and there's nothing they can do about it. I wonder if they even have planning permission for the garage...

Google maps is a few years old now sadly. It's a full on extension which is there now. Probably needed permission for that I would have thought. I wouldn't block a drive anyway, some folks get very angry. I got abuse for not even blocking a drive.

Naff place to park though, would you want people squeezing past etc?

If they can get past then it's fine by me. The streets around here are tiny so everyone has to take it easy. Especially on a Sunday morning, it's lined with cars and vans. Plus he wasn't going anywhere and I was only taking in some shopping. I would have been faster if he hadn't decided to have a go.

Soldato
Loads of room.

It appears to be a detached garage, no more than 3m in height and not built forward of the principle building

As I understand it no planning permission is required.

However he does require a dropped kerb.

Soldato
You could park right in front of his gates if you so wished, no dropped kerb and unless his car is in that garage you are not actually blocking him in.

Back
Top Bottom