parking woes - house opposite regularly blocks my drive

Soldato
If they have their own drive and aren't using it just park across your own drive, leave room on the pavement for people to get past, even if they are where they are, though **** (though move your car if an emergency vehicle wants to get past :) )

Associate
Next time they park there just go round and say move it or i will call the police and report it as an obstruction. Your driveway has a dipped path and as long as your car is in the drive at the time (for some reason it doesn't apply if it isn't). The police will come and ticket it / tow it.

Soldato
They're retired :( The cars that persistently block the driveway are that of the daughter and son. I cant win :p

Are you classing them as old or retired. In my eyes retired doesn't excuse them. If they're able enough to drive a car then they should be able enough to park it.

Besides the point, both the pictures you have posted have shown an empty driveway. Which goes on to the point that if they are old and don't have a car. Then the son/daughter have even less of an excuse to not park on their drive.

Associate
Just have a proper heart to heart with them. Get to the bottom of why they are parking there instead of their drive.

I can't understand people who do this when they have a drive. It is much safer to park a car on a drive than to leave it on a public road.

Have you ever witnessed them reversing on to their own drive? Did he/she have trouble getting it on?

Permabanned
1) Buy old Volvo 240
2) 'Accidentally' hit the offending cars pulling off your driveway a few times every week
3) ???
4) Profit!

Do not do this, Volvo 240s are excellent retro motors, The GLT trim is still fantastic to this day and with an few simple performance upgrades are brilliant rides as well.

Soldato
I have the same problem, the people opposite have bought another MPV which they often park directly opposite my drive. Since I have to reverse out of my drive (can't get out of car if I reverse in due to a wall, and it's *very* narrow) it involves a shuffling back and forward like Austin Powers, and driving along the pavement a bit to get out.

Man of Honour
It is quite inconsiderate parking, especially as all the drive ways are empty on the photo as well. It wouldn't be so bad if the road was wide but its very narrow. If they really want to park in the road, try and ask them to park half on the pavement?

Associate
The last thing you want is a war with neighbours.

they are bringing it on themselves. why should the op have to spend good money because of laziness.

we had a family that used to park in front of our garage, turned out their hand brake did not work very well, to cut a long story short after pushing their car out of the way a hand full of times they got the picture.

some times you have to take matters in your own hands.

maybe im just showing that ive lived on a council estate for all my life

Associate
they are bringing it on themselves. why should the op have to spend good money because of laziness.

we had a family that used to park in front of our garage, turned out their hand brake did not work very well, to cut a long story short after pushing their car out of the way a hand full of times they got the picture.

some times you have to take matters in your own hands.

maybe im just showing that ive lived on a council estate for all my life

Petty things like this can easily escalate out of control, the fact is people parking opposite are doing nothing illegal as has been stated by the councils responce, it might be inconsiderate, but thats a fact of life however much it might be wished otherwise.

The sensible option is to move your wall to give yourself enough space to not rely on the sense of others

The alternative is to keep leaving notes, getting hacked off when it happens, and learning to live with the hassel of it, those are your choices

If you dont like the latter, choose the former

Soldato
OP
Yep. I appreciate modifying the wall and buying new gates to fit the new gap is my only 'proper' option. It just feels like im being forced to spend money simply to have access to something im already paying for... someone else whos just being inconsiderate is the cause!

Soldato
The road is too narrow for such a narrow gateway or wall. Save yourself some pain and knock 4 feet off the wall. It's pig ugly anyway.

Infant scratch that, knock the whole thing down and put up a nice low fence type thing that gives you a few extra feet.

Back
Top Bottom