Part worn Tyres?

Soldato
Bought some second hand JDM alloys which came with part worn tyres, i'm still alive and so is the car.

I mean; if you check them for any defects and there are none......where is the problem?

Associate
As this has been said before, when you buy a 2nd hand car you also do not know where the tyrers are coming from period. Just inspect the part worns you are buying and if in doubt pass.

Man of Honour
My distrust of part worns is nothing to do with with buying part worn tyres on alloys etc. You get used tyres with used alloys and used cars, and I have no issue with this at all.

It's just buying JUST used tyres seems so... wrong.

Have you ever been to your local part warn tyre centre? It's full of shifty looking cheapskate chavs in rattly old bangers trying desperate to save a tenner on a tyre, and the big thing for me is where exactly do these tyres come from?

We know where tyres on alloys or used cars from from - someone upgrades alloys, or changes cars, the wheels and tyres are spare. Sorted.

But just tyres? Who here will change perfectly good tyres with plenty of tread left on them? Virtually nobody - the only time you'll do it is when you've lost confidence in the tyre - such as with GT3 - and this is a) hardly an everyday thing and b) would you want a used tyre somebody else has no confidence with?

So the next theory about where they come from. Accident writeoffs. Strip the wheels, sell the tyres to the part warn chav-centres. Yes, good idea. Except you've NO idea how the tyre coped in the accident. It could have been a simple bump on an old car, thus no problem. Or it could have been a damn huge smash with the tyres subjected to all sorts of unusual forces. You just don't know. Why risk it?

Last remaining theory, they come from abroad where laws are stricter. I've heard things like 'well they replace tyres sooner in Germany'. They probably do. Why? Well because tyre performance gets worse when the tyre wears - although a tyre with tread depth of 2.5mm is legal here, it isnt going to perform as well as one with 4mm in the wet. So why put other countries cast offs on your car?

You don't save THAT much money but there are so many unanswered questions about them.

Frankly, I don't risk something as important as tyres and I won't gamble tyre quality by buying used tyres to save myself a tenner or so a quarter. If you've got 17" alloys you've probably got a reasonably decent car - ask yourself if you can afford to run it properly if you need to turn to second hand tyres to keep it on the road.

What next? Used air filter anyone? Part warn oil filters? Can I interest anyone in a used clutch?

Associate
[TW]Fox said:
Can I interest anyone in a used clutch?

While I agree with the rest of what you wrote, even though I can't come up with a solid reason for it, I just thought I'd mention that I put 2 second-hand clutches in my first motor, about 10k miles apart :eek:

The things you do to keep a clapped-out 1500 Maxi running!

Alan Woodford

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Fox I agree and one of the main reasons I didn't buy that set of part worn tyres that were on ebay, I got scared off by where they had come from especially as it said 2 had been repaired so I bought a second hand set of alloys barely used from an enthusiast. To be fair I probably wouldn't buy these tyres off me as I could have done anything in them, but no doubt someone will for cheap enough :p

However I am getting a second hand clutch :p Out of my mates written off 2003 10k mile VTR, any particular reason why not as its free?

Caporegime
Gojira said:
While I agree with the rest of what you wrote, even though I can't come up with a solid reason for it, I just thought I'd mention that I put 2 second-hand clutches in my first motor, about 10k miles apart :eek:

The things you do to keep a clapped-out 1500 Maxi running!

Alan Woodford

I was thinking of doing a similar thing with my old BM 318i! :o
It still had its "factory" clutch, after 175k miles(!)

I had a used clutch assembly from a mere 50k mile write off 318 sitting in the garage, just in case.

A clutch is not a tyre, nor is it the difference between staying on the road or not. ;)

Back
Top Bottom