Passed MOD1 :)

Soldato
So I passed my MOD1 last Saturday, I am really happy now, I did it on my own bike YBR 125, had some training the same day before taking the test but not much.

Had to do swerve twice as I only got speed of 49km/h on my first go.

Before you ask I don't have funds to do DAS so I am doing restricted license.

Time to book MOD2 training and the test.

Soldato
OP
Well done was it as bad as the hype, the you tube videos look OK

I did my test in Farnborough and the examiner was really nice and looked very friendly.

I think the whole test is very easy apart from the swerve and emergency stop part as you gotta get to minimum 50km/h limit on speed trap. (I think this should be changed to 40+ km/h) and I think that only the speed is the issue as the swerve is minimal and very easy to do.

If you don't have a chance to practice this few times you might get a bit confused as it all happens very quickly. I managed to get only 4 tries on swerve and emergency stop during practice.

Also when I got to the test centre I was overwhelmed by how big the whole area was, much bigger than what I was practicing on. I don't think that any school will have access to an exact practice centre which makes it a bit confusing for learners I suppose.

I know that MOD1 is being reviewed atm, hopefully soon they will bring some positive changes to it ie minimum speed.

Associate
So I passed my MOD1 last Saturday, I am really happy now, I did it on my own bike YBR 125, had some training the same day before taking the test but not much.

Had to do swerve twice as I only got speed of 49km/h on my first go.

Before you ask I don't have funds to do DAS so I am doing restricted license.

Time to book MOD2 training and the test.

Dont they cost the same? Ive heard a few people say about the reason theyre doing restricted license is because of cost.. its the same cost around here at least.

In fact i'd argue that restricted license costs more, as you have to buy the restriction for the bike, then pay to get it fitted, then removed in 2years.

Unless theres something i dont know? I did restricted license but my mates did DAS and cost the same

Soldato
OP
Dont they cost the same? Ive heard a few people say about the reason theyre doing restricted license is because of cost.. its the same cost around here at least.

In fact i'd argue that restricted license costs more, as you have to buy the restriction for the bike, then pay to get it fitted, then removed in 2years.

Unless theres something i dont know? I did restricted license but my mates did DAS and cost the same

I did my CBT over 3 months ago, then bought YBR125 and I've been riding it every day since.

I went for an assessment hour with one of the local schools and they told me that I needed 2 days of training for restricted and 3 days for DAS.

At first I was planning on doing DAS but after being quoted £660 for a 3 day training and £315 for 2 days training I went for the cheaper option (restricted training on my own bike).

I knew that every single time I would fail MOD1 or MOD2 it would cost me over £100 (£120 for the school I am with but have seen people paying £150 for each resit with different schools) for a resit. Doing it on my own bike it would only cost me £15 for MOD1 and £75 for MOD2 in case of exam failure as I can ride it on my own to the test centre.

With about 50%-60% national pass rate this is a big gamble imo.

And last thing is that getting a bike restricted costs about £200. Probably much less to get it derestricted as you don't buy any new parts anymore.

My plan is to get another bike next year if funds will be available, I also need to remember that the insurance for bigger bike is going to be 3 times as expensive to start with than my 125cc.

Soldato
Well done was it as bad as the hype, the you tube videos look OK

I did my test a couple of weeks back. Looking back, it was a piece of cake, even if it was an hour and a bit's journey to and from the test centre, for a 10 minute test.

The good things about the test are the fact that everything is measured and consistent - no examiners asking you to do a U-turn in a dodgy narrow road, it's all standardised. Also, the surface where I was (Enfield) was amazing - proper grippy and perfectly flat.

The hype around the swerve test is just that: hype. There have been some people who've fallen off during the swerve, presumably because they've tried to brake between the speed trap and the swerve cone. Any half-decent instructor will teach you how to do it properly (throttle off, swerve, brake to a halt), and it's practically impossible to get it wrong unless you're a numpty.

I was talking to the examiner, and one of the biggest things that competent riders fail on is actually getting up to 50kph. People have done it fine through at 70kph, so if in doubt, give it some beans.

Good luck on the Mod2 to the OP - mine's next week :)

Soldato
OP
My Varadero is £125 a year fc with business use and my F650 is £98 a year same cover same firm (Hastings)

You probably have had a motorbike license for many years now.

My insurance that I got for free when buying a bike was £250 and it's only 3rd Party and Fire and Theft. When I checked online for a 600 bike it came up around £700 (I put that I had a full license for 1 year already) and I am 30 years old.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Is that through DSA or through the instructors?

That's through the website but when I was on the phone with the school today they couldn't find anything . I will call them tomorrow for an update.

Do schools/instructors have access to some quicker booking?

When I checked the website this evening I found some available days this week, but in places I have never been before 20-30 miles away, one this Friday in Croydon but in Tolworth September 10th the earliest.

I don't know what to do anymore LOL

Tea Drinker
Don
Croydon but in Tolworth September 10th the earliest.

Have you tried Burgess Hill or Redhill they usually have places I couldn't find anything in Croydon for months but Burgess Hill had a mod 1 in a few days so I took it, Burgess Hill is quite easy long straights then a roundabout over and over again nothing complicated like Croydon and only 45 mins from Croydon

Soldato
That's through the website but when I was on the phone with the school today they couldn't find anything . I will call them tomorrow for an update.

Do schools/instructors have access to some quicker booking?

When I checked the website this evening I found some available days this week, but in places I have never been before 20-30 miles away, one this Friday in Croydon but in Tolworth September 10th the earliest.

The training places tend to block book in advance. When I asked for a date, I just got the next free one that the school had block-booked. Had I gone direct, I'd be waiting another couple of weeks. I don't think it's any magical deal between the schools and the DSA, just regular block-booking.

Soldato
OP
Have you tried Burgess Hill or Redhill they usually have places I couldn't find anything in Croydon for months but Burgess Hill had a mod 1 in a few days so I took it, Burgess Hill is quite easy long straights then a roundabout over and over again nothing complicated like Croydon and only 45 mins from Croydon

Oh, going to check those places, I live in Epsom so Tolworth is the best area for me, i know that place very well as I used to live there.

EDIT: Burgess Hill has got waiting time much better than the other test centres. But Red Hill doesn't exist anymore I think as I can't find it.

EDIT: Going for MOD2 training this Thursday and then I am going to book the test myself as the school hasn't got any dates for the next 2 months, they will refund me the money for the test. This morning there were some dates available for this Friday but it's all gone now. Sometime should come up again shortly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom