Passed my test last week, need a car!

Soldato
Don't know how many of you will remember me failing my test the first time around. Hit the kerb in a reverse park manoever. Managed to pass the other week with 6 minors. I was able to take my test in a brand new 58 plate Ford Focus. I was the first to drive in it as the instructor picked it up that morning. It didn't help as much as I thought it would. Quite the opposite actually - I stalled twice! Got 6 minors altogether, so I guess that's not that bad.

I'm now on the look out for a car, and that's where I need help. I don't know much about cars so I don't really know what I'm looking for. I want to spend up to £3000. I'm 25 if that means anything in regards to insurance. I was quite happy with the Ford Focus and I've seen a few of those around, but should I be wary of high mileages?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/812626.htm - Also seen this Civic, does it look like a good idea?

Post code is SW4 if that helps find anything round London.

Cheers for any input!

Soldato
OP
£3000 just for the car. I've got extra money for insurance, though not a set amount. I'll pay whatever I have to really. I'm not limiting myself to a 1.2 car just to get lower insurance but I probably have to hold off buying the big boys for now!

Soldato
OP
I think I'm looking for a toy car :)
I have a free travel pass that gets me into central London for work, so I just want a car to practice in and go wherever the wind takes me!

You say you would be reluctant to pay £3000 for your first car. Does that mean buying a brand new one on finance is a bad idea? :)

Soldato
OP
On a side note, who is good for insurance for new drivers? I got quoted £2k for a 1.6 Focus Zetec from a company affiliated with Adrian Flux :)

Soldato
OP
Would you believe Virgin are one of my better quotes and they don't charge extra for monthly payment. £1300! I want a car badly :)
I'm getting so impatient, I might just go to Car Giants and get one from there...

Soldato
OP
I'll take my mate's dad who's a mechanic. I think I'm going to drop about £5000 on a newish Ford Focus. The idea of a newer car and added cover from the dealer is very tempting :)

At the end of the day, it's just money and I'll have more of it soon :p

Soldato
OP
Hmm, I've changed my mind again. Don't want to spend so much on a first car :)
Is it normal to be this indecisive first time around?

Soldato
OP
Looking at the Zetecs mainly because of the better stuff inside the car. I think by what I've seen from the other threads that high mileage shouldn't be too much of a concern if it has been well looked after. Not too bothered about 3/5 door and 1.8s didn't seem that much too much more in insurance than the 1.6s.

I like the look of the one at the top, what kind of thing should I look out for when viewing them? I'm getting kind of impatient waiting for my mate's mechanic dad, so I might just go with my dad who has been driving for probably over 30 years :)

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2003&vehicleRegLetter=53

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2005&vehicleRegLetter=54

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2003&vehicleRegLetter=53

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2003&vehicleRegLetter=03

Soldato
OP

I'm going to see this one tomorrow hopefully. What sort of questions should I be asking? I've only ever driven 2008 Ford Focuses, and the only difference I felt between the 58 one and the 08 one was the biting point. What should I try and 'feel' for tomorrow?

Sorry for all the retard questions, I'm a bit crap at this.

Edit: Is it worth running the HPI check now?
Edit2: I went for it anyway and the website is throwing up errors on completing the address :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Right, some of you are going to shout at me now for being an impatient muppet (to put it mildly). I looked at that car and HPI checked it while I was at another dealer who was suspicious of the mileage. There was no outstanding finance on it, but it was declared cat d after an accident.

The car, however, had been repaired as if it was new. The door was resprayed but you can't tell. There are no dents in the car at all and the bodywork was tiptop. Under the boot was clean as can be and looked like it only did 20k miles. Inside was very very clean. The leather interior had no dents in it, the carpet looked new. Steering wheel, gear stick and pedals had no wear on them.

Starting up the car, it sounded funny but my dad said that's just because it was cold. Once it was warmed up, the engine sort of got quieter and lower pitched and sounded normal. Started first time, drove like a car, handled like a car, stopped like car. Didn't feel anything wrong there.

After we viewed that car I was very happy with it, but tried to play it cool and said we were going to view another car. We went to a dealer to look at this - http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2004&vehicleRegLetter=54

We got to a showroom and there seemed like hundreds of cars under this one garage roof. Got to the car and there were a few dents on the body work and the hood had some specks of rust. Dunno how you even rust the top of the hood. Inside looked immaculate but as it was a lower spec car than the other, it didn't appeal to me as much. We went to start up the car but it wouldn't start. A lot of splutter but no "vroom". You have to love my technical analysis. We looked under the bonnet and he said it could be because the mechanic unpluggs something for security reasons. He plugged in the 'earthing' cable but that didn't help him. He then said it was because the car had no petrol in it. They need to keep low amounts of petrol in it for insurance reasons. If one car ignites and they all had petrol in, then the whole place would go kaboom.

Once they had petrol in it, it started up but sounded a bit unhealthy. He said it was because the unsuccessful starts before had drawn air into it. They said they would look into it and have it ready for tomorrow. We told them we would see about it and let them know. All in all it didn't look good so we tried to get them to lower the price but they weren't having it. We told them about the other car that we saw, said we would probably go for that and started to make our exit.

As we were almost out, they called us back. He thought the other car sounded fishy and did a HPI check for us. That's when I found out about the Cat D. He then put his saleman hat on and gave it to us - we could have a newer car that has never been in an accident for only 500 quid more. He tried to tell me that Cat D would also raise my insurance premium.

The way I looked at it was that the car was £500 more and because it was a 1.8l the insurance was going to be £100-£200 more. For £700 quid I was willing to gamble on the other cleaner car that started first time. As far as I can tell, Cat D means bodywork damage. It could mean that the cost of repairing it outweighs the cost of the actual car or something. I gave my insurance people a ring and they said it would have no effect on my premium. From what I could find out on the internet on my iPhone, Cat D would mean that I might have problems selling the car and in the case of an insurance claim, they might not pay out as much.

I think this is a risk worth taking, as I was planning on riding this car out until it had died. The £3000 I'm spending on this car will be made up in a couple months so I'm not missing it.

Stuck a deposit of £400 quid and I'm going to pick up the car tomorrow.

Let the forum beatings commence.

Soldato
OP
I don't know if you read the thread.

I followed advice to look at Mondeos, Focuses and Astras. I took on board the advice that diesels might not be for me. I giggled at the advice that Civics and Minis were for old people. The advice that I might have ignored was about getting a Fiesta. I just won't fit in it ;)

Yes, my dad was there inspecting it with me. He has been driving for over 30 years and has a decent idea of what a car needs to be. A bit more than I do. I was told to bring an experienced driver so I followed the advice. I paid for the car myself. I'm paying for my own insurance myself.

I admit I've been a little hasty in my decision, but the way I saw it was that I would rather pay the extra £500 or so for the higher trimmed car. And while I was told that £500 wasn't worth the lower mileage, I thought it was a bonus :) I did realise it was a CatD while I was out and about, but I thought that was for 'minor' cosmetic damage. I could have kept waiting and looking for a better car because I wasn't willing to travel 244 miles for a suggested car.

I'm sorry for wasting your time, but your advice came about 50 posts too late.
I guess the lure of the leather interior, heated seats, aircon and alarm and stuff was just too much.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom