Password check

• Thread starter Thread starter ajm
  • Start date Start date

ajm

ajm

Associate
A friend of mine has a pc that another person put some software on and then put a password check at the bios.He doesn't get on with this person anymore so can't ask him what to do.He knows the password but wants to remove the check,how can this be done (without having to take the side off the case as it is still under warranty)?

ajm said:
A friend of mine has a pc that another person put some software on and then put a password check at the bios.He doesn't get on with this person anymore so can't ask him what to do.He knows the password but wants to remove the check,how can this be done (without having to take the side off the case as it is still under warranty)?

Maybe flash it with a new version of the BIOS for his board.

paulsheff said:
He should be able to go into the bios and disable it.

Presume he can't get into the bios because it's pw protected!

Reset the bios (should be a jumper to enable you to do this) and it will clear the pw.

Yeah, but if the bios settings are pw protected then you can't get there to disable it without having the pw :rolleyes: (always wanted to use that smiley, how annoying it is! :D )

But according to the post he knows the password. Whats the motherboard? Usually the option to disable the password is in the last tab along in the bios.

Oh I see (/note to self, must read OP before replying). So yes, go into bios and disable pw as earlier poster said.

/crawls away to hide

Theres no way for them to tell if you took the side off so use the jumper and reset the Bios or there should be an option in the bios as said

Chris19 said:
Theres no way for them to tell if you took the side off so use the jumper and reset the Bios or there should be an option in the bios as said

They have those Warrenty stickers on them. Like they have on PSU's and stuff. That's if they're a shop-built one anyway, from ** ***** etc.

EDIT: Not sure if that's classed as a competitor but I'll edit it out anyway. :o

Thanks for all the replies,sorry if my post was a bit confusing.It was a pre built system and has a sticker over the edge as a warranty seal.Can this not be done from in windows somehow?

no not from windows, i came a cross a dell pc that had no cmos button on motherboard could never get it done

unless you no your motherboard model your going to have to use google on your motherboard for help

james32 said:
no not from windows, i came a cross a dell pc that had no cmos button on motherboard could never get it done
Dell boxen (most of them from about 2001 onward, and some from before) have a BIOS password disable/reset jumper on the board :)

Am I missing something here... if he has the password, why can't he just disable it in the BIOS?
Thanks i will pass the info onto him,i did ask him the same question but he said he couldn't get into the bios for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom