Password Manager Expert Needed?

Soldato
Another +1 for lastpass. Although i don't keep any passwords in there for things like online banking / paypal etc. So if the vault ever did get compromised, it would be more of an annoyance than a financial risk.

Soldato
OP
Just tried Firefox Sync and it's nasty , no control , no locking data against changes and they keep requesting to backup to a smartphone.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bitwarden is my goto password manager made the migration from Lastpass and not looked back.

I've been using them for a few months because someone here recommended Bitwarden. I upgraded to the premium plan and now have a Yubikey which I use as 2FA on my account which means that someone needs to get hold of my key ring and my master password if they want to hack my account. Can't complain about £10 a year. Plus you get 1GB of encrypted cloud storage which is pretty cool for private stuff.

Soldato
OP
I tried Keepassxc and it's just not practical , you can't carry around a database with you or setup cloud sync and expect all the devices you use to have keepass installed.

On Linux Gnome it's installs a load of QT crud as well.

Soldato
OP
I plan on trying Bitwarden , Lastpass , 1password and Dashlane as they are the ones i see mentioned the most.

I did briefly try Lastpass years ago when there was a lot complaining about them being sold too Logmein but i never got around to testing it thoroughly and i remember the web console annoyed me as it was grey on grey unless that has changed?

Soldato
OP
Well i've spent the morning testing out lastpass , Bitwarden , 1password and Dashlane and i only like lastpass and Bitwarden.

Lastpass wins it for me as i like their Web Vault interface as you have right click options on folders such as open all links so no need to use Firefox for bookmark categories.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anybody here use Google Smart Lock for this?

I was just about to sign up for last pass but then noticed google suggesting a password for me. Turns our I've been storing my password with google for the past 6 months when I changed over to android.

Setup 2fa on my google account now too, any benefits of using the above mentioned ones like Lastpass over googles own?

Soldato
OP
Well i've spent all week using both Lastpass and Bitwarden and i've decided to stick with lastpass but i will try bitwarden again in the future as it's not far behind lastpass for ease of use.

How the hell did i ever get by without using a password manager all these years... :)

Associate
Sorry to high jack the thread
I am atm looking for such a solution to passwords. can i ask on all these if i am correct you use a "master password" what happens if you forget that ? and you have changed all your accounts to use the strong passwords ect via lastpass or bitwarden ect ect ? . For example i change my facebook to a very strong password then ofc changed the email it is associated with are you not knackered if you forget your "master" password?

Associate
For me Dashlane has become the go to choice simply for its iOS support, which since iOS 12 is built natively into Safari. I have used LastPass also but just like the feature set of Dashlane. It has DarkWeb monitoring and informs you when it encounters your details being sold.

Supports Windows Hello, iOS Facial Recognition, iOS Fingerprint Recognition, provides 2FA support, and most of all it allows you to nominate a person that can get access to your account in the event of your death. These days so much data is held online and in the cloud, having access to someone’s details is really helpful. My Dad is 70 and he’s even mastered it!

Like Jensen said: “It just works”!

Associate
This new world of password management is a nightmare there are so many companies doing them now its hard to see which is the best or be it most secure way to do this.

I must add i was one of those stupid people who used the same 2-3 passwords in everything i signed up to or used, i need to stray from this bad habit i just want one that is good so not only will invest money be it as a premium service but time to learn it also.

The most popular ones seem to lastpass and bitwarden

Associate
This new world of password management is a nightmare there are so many companies doing them now its hard to see which is the best or be it most secure way to do this.

There are many factors affecting what is the most secure method, but any online service adds another area of risk as you're trusting their software and employees. I know my preference for KeePass with a locally stored file synced to other devices when at home isn't popular as it lacks the 'use anywhere without software factor' but it's an even more secure approach because of it.

However, no matter what software/approach you take you do need to get away from 2 to 3 passwords - I have over 800 complex and long passwords and its increasing all the time. I also use many different email addresses as logon id and every recovery question has a random answer with no relation to the question. If a service offers 2FA then use that as well.

Soldato
For me Dashlane has become the go to choice simply for its iOS support, which since iOS 12 is built natively into Safari. I have used LastPass also but just like the feature set of Dashlane. It has DarkWeb monitoring and informs you when it encounters your details being sold.

Supports Windows Hello, iOS Facial Recognition, iOS Fingerprint Recognition, provides 2FA support, and most of all it allows you to nominate a person that can get access to your account in the event of your death. These days so much data is held online and in the cloud, having access to someone’s details is really helpful. My Dad is 70 and he’s even mastered it!

Like Jensen said: “It just works”!

I always thought 1password has first class MAC and iOS support, Is Dashlane subscription based?

The thing I like about 1password is the interface is very simple and the support if needed is brilliant.

Associate
I always thought 1password has first class MAC and iOS support, Is Dashlane subscription based?

The thing I like about 1password is the interface is very simple and the support if needed is brilliant.

Dashlane is free for single platform and 50 passwords. The full features and cross platform required a subscription, but you can get six-months free.

Send me a PM and I can send you a code!

Soldato
Dashlane is free for single platform and 50 passwords. The full features and cross platform required a subscription, but you can get six-months free.

Send me a PM and I can send you a code!

Thanks, but I have no plans to switch, just wondered if it was a subscription service, nice to have a good choice of password managers though.

Back
Top Bottom