Password Manager

Associate
1pSdl

By the way, this is the best thing ever.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I know that modem encryption simply relies on using big numbers that take a long time to factorize, but as computers get faster the numbers become easier and easier to factorize. Government facilities and their super computers are very good at factorizing large numbers. Our intelligence services would be pretty useless if a simple 256 encryption made everything watertight.

The factoring of large prime numbers is used in asymmetric encryption such as the RSA algorithm.

It's unlikely that asymmetric encryption is used by software in this instance.

Encryption such as AES does not work in this way.

Some of the encryption is 8192 bit as well.

Again generally asymmetric algorithms use these large key lengths, most symmetric encryption uses lower key lengths such as 256.

Doesn't make them any less secure, it's just a different method of encryption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_size#Asymmetric_algorithm_key_lengths

The maths behind these algorithms is usually sound but it's how they are implemented which can let them down if done poorly :)

Saying that I still probably wouldn't want my encrypted password file going off anywhere else ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If you don't have an up to date phone, then as Azza suggested, a portable USB stick is a great solution as you can encrypt the stick as well (with a different password) then, should you loose it, you have a two-factor solution.

Testing Sticky Password at the moment and you have to manually export the databbase then sync it with your phone (again manually) so you have nothing in the cloud - which is just what I wanted.

M.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Well i keep it on my laptop.. which is always at home when I need it.

I've thought about keeping the file in Sky-drive and downloading when and where necessary.

Use Dropbox to sync the database. Make sure you enable key support. The key file must never touch dropbox.

Back
Top Bottom