• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Paste Advice

Associate
Hey,

silly question time, I've had 2/3 machines die from overheating in the past, and always felt guilty that it was to do with my thermal paste application, so I just ordered some new parts from OC and went with a bundle and mentioned this so they could pre-paste for me and throw on an OC, seems that wasn't done and now I'm dying to get it setup, so my only options are whats available on prime 2 hour delivery.

I've got the options of,

ARCTIC MX-4
ARCTIC MX-2
Arctic Silver 5

would any of those be sufficient for a OC 8700k or do I wait and get some tommorrow?

Associate
people are far too precious about thermal paste and its application , get the mx-4 , its very good (within a few degrees of every other premium paste out there) it spreads very easily and lasts well.

Just spread it over the entire heat spreader with a credit card, stick the heatsink on and forget about it.

Man of Honour
You'd have to do a really poor job to kill components through overheating purely down to the application and paste used.

Personally I either use Arctic Silver 5 (personally I get great results with it) or Thermal Grizzly.

Just spread it over the entire heat spreader with a credit card, stick the heatsink on and forget about it.

Gamer's nexus showed some pastes can see degraded performance significantly by hand spreading - either use a blob or read the application notes. There are also a small number of pastes like some Gelid stuff that don't work great unless you hand spread as well.

Soldato
Hey,

silly question time, I've had 2/3 machines die from overheating in the past, and always felt guilty that it was to do with my thermal paste application, so I just ordered some new parts from OC and went with a bundle and mentioned this so they could pre-paste for me and throw on an OC, seems that wasn't done and now I'm dying to get it setup, so my only options are whats available on prime 2 hour delivery.

I've got the options of,

ARCTIC MX-4
ARCTIC MX-2
Arctic Silver 5

would any of those be sufficient for a OC 8700k or do I wait and get some tommorrow?

Kryonaut is the best atm.
Get the 5.5g tube, is better value than the 1g tube.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ther...ance-thermal-paste-5.5g-1.5-ml-th-001-tg.html

Soldato
I'd avoid MX-2. Too many bad tubes around. Landed one that required re-pasting every 6 months. Too liquidy, kept drying.

Be patient and get some Kryonaut from OcUK. Not that there's anything wrong with MX-4 or Arctic Silver 5, I use the latter at times.

Soldato
I'd avoid MX-2. Too many bad tubes around. Landed one that required re-pasting every 6 months. Too liquidy, kept drying.

Be patient and get some Kryonaut from OcUK. Not that there's anything wrong with MX-4 or Arctic Silver 5, I use the latter at times.

I still have a tube of MX-2 from about 5 years back and it still does the job perfectly. No drying issues and my 2600K + H50 as well as my old 7950 with a G10 AIO cooler kept the temps low, never had to repaste.

But +1 to being more patient and getting the Kryonaut, I'm using that now and it does a good job. I ignored the suggested method though and stuck with the small pea method which I feel works better.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Always used the pea method, never had issues :)

My last build (custom water loop, 3930k etc) was running on IC diamond 24.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I still have a tube of MX-2 from about 5 years back and it still does the job perfectly. No drying issues and my 2600K + H50 as well as my old 7950 with a G10 AIO cooler kept the temps low, never had to repaste.

Glad you got a good one (sincerely not sarcy). I got that bad tube in May 2015. Read about others who got bad ones, after that.

Soldato
Glad you got a good one (sincerely not sarcy). I got that bad tube in May 2015. Read about others who got bad ones, after that.

Ah in that case they must've changed something later on which could be affecting it, around 2011 odd it was highly rated. I'm actually finding the Kryonaut a little more liquidy compared to it but curing time seems better.

Back
Top Bottom