patch cables decreasing speed

Associate
Hi i just tried some cat 6 cables to connect to my switch from a wall plate and speed has dropped from over 100 to around 7 any help and checked and they are listed as patch cables.
RJ45 Cat-6 Ethernet Patch Internet Cable 0.9m
So i have a virgin hub that i take a patch cable from and this goes into a switch then i take a cable from this to another switch and then out to devices, this worked fine with cheap cat 5 cables so thought i would upgrade and used a couple of the cat 6 ones but speed dropped swapped the old cables with the new and speed is back.
So any help on this ?
Thanks

Associate
OP
Faulty cables

Also upgrading to cat 6 achieves nothing*
i know but the existing ones were cheap cat5 not even 5e from years back, what threw me was they were a 5 pack and i tested them all with a network tester and all pins were correct, will return them
Thanks

Associate
OP
There probaly cheap chinese cables copper coated aluminium even, I normaly use excel patch cables you can get Excel patch cables on ebay for a couple of £ for short ones
Thanks I have made patch cables before but the materials are at my mothers and I just thought it would have been easier

Associate
Thanks I have made patch cables before but the materials are at my mothers and I just thought it would have been easier

Yeh if I want a custom lengh I some times make them up using solid cable and plugs suitable for solid cable, funny thing is i still have one pc connected using pre cat5e cable (cat5) and it gets full speed and its about 15 m long i am too lazy to swap it out

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom