Path to passing

Associate
I’m looking for an answer to what should be a simple question but I can’t find any clear guidance online.

I have a number of bikes including a 125 and an A2 compatible. My sons are getting into riding and all have their CBT so can ride the 125 with L plates. But what happens regarding A2 once they have passed A1? Can they ride the A2 bike with L plates? And then, after passing A2 can they ride an A category bike with L plates?

From the limited information I’ve been able to find online it seems that the only way to learn and test for A2 & A is via a riding school or instructor and using their bikes. Is that really the case or have I misunderstood?

Thanks in advance.

Caporegime
A1 is restricted, depending on the bike it may need to be restricted. What bike is it?

As for the actual path, I did my A licence right off the bat so can't comment on that one, I believe @IC3 did the A1 ---> A2 thing so will have better info.

Either way they'll need to pass a theory test before going any further. I *highly* recommend this app for that:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
A1 is restricted, depending on the bike it may need to be restricted. What bike is it?

As for the actual path, I did my A licence right off the bat so can't comment on that one, I believe @IC3 did the A1 ---> A2 thing so will have better info.

Either way they'll need to pass a theory test before going any further. I *highly* recommend this app for that:

I didn't do the A1 as to me it seemed pointless, only benefit over the CBT is being able to ride on motorways and ride abroad. I did A2 when I was 19, recently did A (DAS) as a progressive thing. However, a colleague of mine has A1 and is going through the progressive route to his A2. But he needed to be able to ride abroad, so slightly different circumstances.

I would wait till they hit 19 so they can do A2, than after 2 years at 21 they can book the Mod 1 & Mod 2 and do both tests on their own bikes. Mod1 is £15 and Mod2 is £75, going via school will be anything from £490-690, only requirement is for the bike to be above 599cc, there's plenty of restrictable bikes for A2 now-a-days, when I passed my license 7-8 years ago the choice wasn't great... I would probs swerve towards CBR650R, CB650R, MT-07 or Husqvarna 701 SM depending on what type of bikes they like.

I still regret not getting a MT-07 now and doing the Mod1 & Mod2 myself, but after the test I realized that the rideouts with an instructor helped me to prepare for the tests, so the £619 I spent doesn't hurt as much... Just get them to do the progressive as soon, as they can, the longer you leave it, the more bad habits they'll pickup.

Edit:

It is all a big scam when you look deeper into it, its expensive and difficult to get a learner insurance on a motorcycle on a provisional for the duration of the test. So the first test, you are forced to go via a school, my school is good as it doesn't dictate the rules for you, you just want to do the test with them? Fine, but if you fail you, its on you - seems reasonable to me! You need to do a bit of research on your local schools, my mate recently went with a different school, as mine was booked out till the end of the year and to me it sounds like they're ripping him off a little bit (I told him this too). When I first did my A2, I picked training in the morning and test in the afternoon, same with the Mod2 and it was fine for me coming from a 125 which I rode for 3-4 months.

I'm all up for those restrictions, but apply them to all ages, you're 60 and want to ride? A2 restricted and after 2 years it progresses automatically to A, even if I had to pay the £50 admin fee it wouldn't my wallet as much...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks guys, really appreciate the responses and it's all helpful information. The key piece for me is that I now know you are able to ride your own bike for the tests but, as you say, insurance can be problematic. It really does seem like a massive scam put in place by individuals who have never ridden a motorbike.

Following your posts and some subsequent discussions with a riding school I have a much clearer picture of the options, and the boys will all probably take slightly different routes based on thier ages and needs.

Back
Top Bottom