Pathetic work situation

Permabanned
reminds me of my work, dress down Friday is no more unfortunately...

We used to be able to wear what we want on a Friday, but the new VP has declared it must meet his definition of 'Smart Casual'

i.e. no trainers, t-shirts, jeans etc....

I'm not one to talk though, i used to wear my '9-11 was an inside job' and 'Obama = Fascist' t-shirts to work :D

Caporegime
Would it be so hard to just dress smart for a 5 day week? Dress down day is retarded.

Dress codes are retarded tbh...

especial if you're not even client facing

but even if you are why should the fact that you're wearing a generic cut of cloth mean you are any more competent than the next person, tis perfectly possible to dress well without looking the same as everyone else and even if you don't dress well it has no bearing on your ability to get **** done tbh...

the fact that dress down Fridays can exist just shows how pointless and unnecessary the dress code is during the rest of the week - for industries where it is perhaps expected and ingrained in the culture then perhaps dressing in suits etc.. for client visits/meetings is appropriate but in most instances, in an average office job, when no clients are around it is pretty much just an old fashioned concept. Given the sort of cheap suits and naff shirts a lot of office workers wear scrapping dress codes might actually make the workplace a bit of a nicer place to work.

Caporegime
ASDA, £3 for a white shirt and they aren't exactly shabby. Perfect for general work day attire.

^^^ this is exactly what I was highlighting above

people just dress in any cheap tat that fits the 'dress code' as its an unnecessary expense for them

polyester suits and discount badly cut shirts don't make people look smart - they just make people look grey, dull, miserable etc...

Soldato
In fact I'd be tempted to keep as far out of it as possible - I'm not convinced that either party is in the right here.
This.

my first reaction was all anti boss then 2nd was anti other guy as I have to wear a shirt every damn day even tho no members of the public etc see us and other dep in same building have t-shirts etc but after thinking about it I'm gonna say they are BOTH tools and will end up killing eachother off. he'll take her out with a bullying in the workplace suit (excuse the pun) and he'll never be able to work there again after that.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the replies, interesting to read other people's take on it from the outside. General thoughts are that she's bonkers and you're not wrong! I'll have to decide in the morning whether or not to give him a ring, part of me doesn't want to get involved though because you guys are totally correct in the fact that a shirt costs a few quid.

Oh the joy of working for a mentalist :rolleyes:

Associate
this is stupid.

cant you just have a meeting and sort it out? both of them being idiotic about it, and your manager sounds like a right tool, i hate working for managers that cant manage.

Associate
get him to file a complaint about the boss, I'm pretty sure something like this would be covered by bullying regulations etc.

Grow up, the world may be full of prats that whinge about every damn thing, but that doesn't make it right. Bullying is bugger all to do with someone letting the team down with something as basic as dress code.

Caporegime
Grow up, the world may be full of prats that whinge about every damn thing, but that doesn't make it right. Bullying is bugger all to do with someone letting the team down with something as basic as dress code.

because telling all the office to dress one way then running round going no no dress in jeans then we can lol at him!

is grown up?

The manager sucks, get the complaint in and get them sorted out.

Soldato
That's not really making a point by your boss, that's just being a bit of a tool. If she wants him to dress up smart then say so and discipline him if he doesn't follow the dress code. Your mate sounds like he's being a bit petty too.

In fact I'd be tempted to keep as far out of it as possible - I'm not convinced that either party is in the right here.

She sounds like a tool for having a dress code in the first place this is 2010.

Soldato
I would tell him. This the stunts my last employer pulled and it was very nice. Safe to say I only lasted a year there and Im happier where I am now.

Explain to your mate why they doing it and he could cover his own ass to.

Caporegime
I think everyone in any job at all times should be wearing a bowtie that spins round when desired. The flashing led's however, should be optional.

Back
Top Bottom