Pathetic work situation

Man of Honour
Dress down day is retarded.

When it was introduced at my old firm it boosted morale, quick win for management really. It's not really any more 'retarded' than any other dress code for non-client facing roles, as someone else pointed out.

Anyway it does all sound rather childish as the OP says. Personally I would follow the management directive not to inform him and let him take the issue up with HR.

Soldato
I like it because I always get sweat-patches in my work shirts which makes me feel icky, but I don't in my casual shirts. :p
Wear a t-shirt or short sleeved vest under it.

Gawdammit, missed the exact same suggestion two posts back *_*

Work situation sounds crap, I'd stay out of it unless you want to especially be friends with said bloke who is intentionally trying to bother the boss however petty she's being.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
She sounds like a tool for having a dress code in the first place this is 2010.

Like it or not a lot of the initial impression a client gets of a business will often be how smart the staff look - if the most obvious way to get the staff to dress smartly (i.e. they can't be trusted to do so on their own - as here it seems) is to have a dress code then I can still see the value in having one.

I've had jobs where I've had to dress smartly and others where I could dress about as casually as I wanted - it makes no difference to the quality of the work I do, if anything I work better when I'm more casually dressed as I'm more comfortable but if clients expect that the firms staff should be dressed smartly when they are meeting them then it makes sense to do so. In a job that is not customer facing then there may be a point in allowing staff to dress more casually but I'm pretty sure there are studies touted to the effect that staff dressing casually makes them less efficient - I'm almost equally certain that studies could be found to point the other way but to suggest that one is comprehensively right and the other absolutely wrong isn't something I'd be prepared to do.

Soldato
I have a mate who has a problem wearing shirts, he doesn't mind polo shirts or something else kind of semi casual/smart but wearing a shirt is a big no, no, for him.

I think the boss is being very petty and is crossing a line that goes towards bullying with the stunt she is pulling today.

Associate
Tell him to just ask her out and stop being a pussy. After a night of friction burns and brutal fisting you can enjoy the peaceful tranquillity in your office.

Associate
but even if you are why should the fact that you're wearing a generic cut of cloth mean you are any more competent than the next person, tis perfectly possible to dress well without looking the same as everyone else and even if you don't dress well it has no bearing on your ability to get **** done tbh...

This. I've never understood why we have to look "smart" to go to work. I work at my best when I'm comfortable. I'm at my most comfortable when I can wear what I like.

My general work attire consists of skate shoes, combats and a witty computing tshirt....which is also what I wear everywhere else, to all occasions.

Soldato
Like it or not a lot of the initial impression a client gets of a business will often be how smart the staff look - if the most obvious way to get the staff to dress smartly (i.e. they can't be trusted to do so on their own - as here it seems) is to have a dress code then I can still see the value in having one.

I've had jobs where I've had to dress smartly and others where I could dress about as casually as I wanted - it makes no difference to the quality of the work I do, if anything I work better when I'm more casually dressed as I'm more comfortable but if clients expect that the firms staff should be dressed smartly when they are meeting them then it makes sense to do so. In a job that is not customer facing then there may be a point in allowing staff to dress more casually but I'm pretty sure there are studies touted to the effect that staff dressing casually makes them less efficient - I'm almost equally certain that studies could be found to point the other way but to suggest that one is comprehensively right and the other absolutely wrong isn't something I'd be prepared to do.

I agree that for client meetings you should dress smart it's just that dress code is only for men which worked years ago when it was mostly men working but now it's equal what is the dress code for women?

This is what annoyed me in my previous job I was expected to wear certain type of "uniform" white shirt & tie where as my female colleagues weren't expected to wear a white blouse.

Man of Honour
I agree that for client meetings you should dress smart it's just that dress code is only for men which worked years ago when it was mostly men working but now it's equal what is the dress code for women?

This is what annoyed me in my previous job I was expected to wear certain type of "uniform" white shirt & tie where as my female colleagues weren't expected to wear a white blouse.

I'd agree it is somewhat unfair in that there is generally a lack of choice for men but I can't say I'm overly upset by it, I don't have to spend even a moment agonising over what I should be wearing - it's suit, shirt, tie etc. It's not true equality but aside from as a matter of principle I don't mind that - my life is not really any better or worse because of it.

Soldato
Dress codes are retarded tbh...

especial if you're not even client facing

but even if you are why should the fact that you're wearing a generic cut of cloth mean you are any more competent than the next person, tis perfectly possible to dress well without looking the same as everyone else and even if you don't dress well it has no bearing on your ability to get **** done tbh...

the fact that dress down Fridays can exist just shows how pointless and unnecessary the dress code is during the rest of the week - for industries where it is perhaps expected and ingrained in the culture then perhaps dressing in suits etc.. for client visits/meetings is appropriate but in most instances, in an average office job, when no clients are around it is pretty much just an old fashioned concept. Given the sort of cheap suits and naff shirts a lot of office workers wear scrapping dress codes might actually make the workplace a bit of a nicer place to work.

but then people take the pee, they will come in half naked, or dressed like a whore... or tramp

I hate being told what I should and should not do, however I totally see the need for a dress code, it anoyes me women are usually excluded and can pretty much wear what they want (any place I have worked anyway)... not that I would complain if they came dressed as a whore or half naked..

Soldato
surely if he comes dressed nice and smart, and you lot in scruffs, and you have visitors (that your company seem to be trying to impress, by wanting to be smart in the 1st place) you lot in the scruffs will be the planks rather than him :p

D33

D33

Associate
Would it be so hard to just dress smart for a 5 day week? Dress down day is retarded.

I've personally always found a dress down day to boost morale within the team. A lot of people generally feel more comfortable, happier and therefore it brings a nice fresh boost of motiviation, especially considering it's the end of the week.

But this is just my opinion and feelings, just as the .. "retarded" .. statement is yours.

Soldato
Why are you asking for our opinion on the matter when you summed up the situation in the title of your thread?

It is indeed pathetic, which means you tell your friend, he then sends a complaint which will most likely be taken as pathetic and possibly be regarded as bullying and let the people you told do their thing and the situation is done and dusted.

Basically, your friend and your boss will get a slap.

Back
Top Bottom