PC Build - Budget £600 - £700

Associate
Hi All,

First post, so please play nice. I used to build PCs around 15 years ago to make a bit of money, but haven't touched components in a long time and I am completely out of touch with technology and trends, as I have been surviving with my laptop and XBox.

I'm looking to build a desktop for around £600-£700 which will be used for home office, some work and some gaming. With regards to games, I'm more into strategy games like Xcom and Civilization than I am Call of Duty, but I'd like the option of playing AAA games, even if I have to accept that I might not be able to have settings on Max.

An important thing for me would be future-proofing. I'm happy to accept some lower spec components now, but that can be upgraded in say 12 months time when my budget is a little less constrained.

in terms of setup, I was planning on using a reasonably modern, spare 42" TV as my monitor (with HDMI in) and already have a decent keyboard and mouse gifted to me by a friend. As far as case is concerned, the more understated the better, but I'd also want something that isn't going to get too hot or make an absolute racket.

I saw this thread posted a couple of days ago:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/pc-build-700.18875052/

Should I be looking at something similar, or, are my requirements different enough that I should look to do something different to the answers suggested on there?

Thanks in advance!

nice little micro atx build, bang in the middle of your budget range
of course, if you wanted to spend top end of your budget, can upgrade the GPU to a 1660 super (~15% better GPU performance)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £656.51 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

does going the Micro ATX route restrict the potential to upgrade and update later?
nope. unless you use tonnes of PCIE cards (lol - which never happens in 99% of the time)
for most people, the only expansion card used is the GPU

MATX is exactly the same as ATX but with the bottom 3 PCIE slots chopped off, hence a smaller, neater form-factor

its usually considered that strategy games of certain types require stronger CPU performance over graphics, so ive mocked up with a 2700 rather than the 6 cores and the gtx 1650 would still perform well in other games too, but you do have the option to replace it with the 590 and still come under max budget.

went with the same idea as above with a single 500gb ssd, but i went for the m.2 option which with a modular psu you wouldnt need the sata cables.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £678.15 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

Again, the AMD 2700 @ OcUK is massively overpriced, getting one elsewhere would save over £60 on that alone. Also the 3*** series from AMD are approx ~15% faster than the AMD 2*** series, so it makes up for it in raw IPC.

Also, 4GB on a graphics card will be limiting these days even at 1080p, so the 8GB model that Tamzzy suggested will be viable for longer - even in non shooter type games.

stronger CPU performance over graphics, so ive mocked up with a 2700 rather than the 6 cores and the gtx 1650 would still perform well in other games too
errr what?
for civ 6 specifically the 3600 outperforms the 2700x, not even starting to consider that the 2700 is slower than the 2700x
and xcom is as graphical a game as any other, so getting a lousier cpu and gpu for the same budget is :confused::confused::confused:
i'm sorry but bad advice imo. the 2700 shouldn't even be considered unless in specific use case scenarios (eg video encoding) as the 3600 craps all over it every other use case scenario

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3489-amd-ryzen-5-3600-cpu-review-benchmarks-vs-intel

errr what?
for civ 6 specifically the 3600 outperforms the 2700x, not even starting to consider that the 2700 is slower than the 2700x
and xcom is as graphical a game as any other, so getting a lousier cpu and gpu for the same budget is :confused::confused::confused:
i'm sorry but bad advice imo. the 2700 shouldn't even be considered unless in specific use case scenarios (eg video encoding) as the 3600 craps all over it every other use case scenario

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3489-amd-ryzen-5-3600-cpu-review-benchmarks-vs-intel

ok fair enough, but i wasnt talking about these specific games, just whatever i read for other sorts under the strategy segment(ashes of singularity came to mind) , i dont know the other games the OP is playing, but some do rely on cpu grunt, im not saying the 2700 is the answer, but for the price and fitting in the budget its hardly a bad thing. yes i chose a lower performing gpu, but that doesnt mean its a bad option either.

my computer is a good example for the budget and performance expected as such, but was trying to fit in an updated card and something different. my laptop can play triple A games fine on high if i dont choose to go 120hz or rather beyond 1080p and its a weaker machine. i might not be any expert in the slightest, but i do read and watch stuff and have my own experiences.

anyways it was just an idea :p :rolleyes:

Thank you both for your replies, it's going to be a couple of weeks until i purchase the components, so will keep my eye on prices and offers etc. but you have been very helpful - thank you!

Back
Top Bottom