PC build for video editing

Associate
Hi,

Im looking for a new PC to primarily edit movies. Only HD rather than 4k. Plan to use Cyberlink Power Director.

I currently have an Intel i5 2.67GHz CPU, 8GB Ram with a ATI radeon hd 5450 graphics cards and performance when editing is awful - it will fail to preview any edits before producing the movie.

I have a budget of £500. Should I be prioritising budget to the graphics card over everything else? Grateful for any advice and suggestions.

Many thanks

Associate
OP
Thanks both.
They recommend an Intel Corei5 or AMD Phenom II X4 and above - but dont mention speeds or cores. I note extra cores do not necessarily mean extra speed ie you could have an i7 with 8 cores and then an i5 with less cores but more GHz than the more expensive i7!? Difficult to know which are more important - GHz or cores

Soldato
Program uses multi threading so any current Intel / ryzen 6c/12t will be a big upgrade. Personally would so Resolve is a better program to use as its faster and uses any hardware you got better .

Out of stock but give you an idea . Onboard GPU to cut down costs of GPU unless you have one . Again resolve uses GPUs better

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £314.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Associate
According to a 2017 post, it'll use as many cores as you can throw at it. In 2021 money, that means 8 cores would be a smart choice. It also supports cuda (gpu acceleration), so you'll want to check how much of a difference that makes to see where the money is best spent.

Soldato
8c cpu will likely to bust your budget. Even 3700x is around £280-£300. Earlier zen cpu like 2700x is probably not worth it as you are loosing a fair bit of performance.

intel 8c parts 10th gen is just not great value either.

stick with the 10400 CPU and the board previous specced and add to it a GTX 1650 or 1660 GPU for graphic acceleration. That should be within you £500 budget.

if you shop around rather than rely on OCUK you should be able to afford 32GB of ram with CPU motherboard and GPU for under £500.

Soldato
Hi,

Im looking for a new PC to primarily edit movies. Only HD rather than 4k. Plan to use Cyberlink Power Director.

I currently have an Intel i5 2.67GHz CPU, 8GB Ram with a ATI radeon hd 5450 graphics cards and performance when editing is awful - it will fail to preview any edits before producing the movie.

I have a budget of £500. Should I be prioritising budget to the graphics card over everything else? Grateful for any advice and suggestions.

Many thanks

8c cpu will likely to bust your budget. Even 3700x is around £280-£300. Earlier zen cpu like 2700x is probably not worth it as you are loosing a fair bit of performance.

intel 8c parts 10th gen is just not great value either.

stick with the 10400 CPU and the board previous specced and add to it a GTX 1650 or 1660 GPU for graphic acceleration. That should be within you £500 budget.

if you shop around rather than rely on OCUK you should be able to afford 32GB of ram with CPU motherboard and GPU for under £500.

i7 8 core 16 threads can be done

Total: £500.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)

mentioned in another thread US slashed prcing of 10850k 10 cores to $400 , which under perfect conditions would have been £310.... but never going to happen for so many reasons currently.

*mobo and ram out of stock but is a good hint for what would work​

Last edited:
Soldato
i7 8 core 16 threads can be done

Total: £500.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)

mentioned in another thread US slashed prcing of 10850k 10 cores to $400 , which under perfect conditions would have been £310.... but never going to happen for so many reasons currently.

*mobo and ram out of stock but is a good hint for what would work​
with you original spec, he can have a GTX GPU which will be better for him as video editing has a lot of effects that can be accelerated by CUDA. though i dont know details about that particular software

Soldato
with you original spec, he can have a GTX GPU which will be better for him as video editing has a lot of effects that can be accelerated by CUDA. though i dont know details about that particular software

davinci resolve is so much better, free as well but lacks features of paid version. that would use hardware/gpu so much better.

seems most using Cyberlink running CPU acceleration

Associate
OP
many thanks for your time and suggestions - it's much appreciated.
I hadn't heard of Resolve so will certainly look into it if it makes better use of hardware performance.

The GTX 1650 or 1660 GPU looks a good investment, I guess I just then need a CPU with as many cores as I can afford.

Will have a shop around. Not sure I'm confident building anything from scratch so if you're aware of anything pre-built that may fit the bill, please share. Thanks again.

Soldato
many thanks for your time and suggestions - it's much appreciated.
I hadn't heard of Resolve so will certainly look into it if it makes better use of hardware performance.

The GTX 1650 or 1660 GPU looks a good investment, I guess I just then need a CPU with as many cores as I can afford.

Will have a shop around. Not sure I'm confident building anything from scratch so if you're aware of anything pre-built that may fit the bill, please share. Thanks again.

best build yourself, if going Pure gaming- you'd be forced to buying pre-built due to GPU stock issues

Soldato
Build yourself. Watch a few YouTube videos if you have never done a build or put a component into a PC before.

It is not rocket science.

if something doesn’t go right after the build and you can’t fix it then you can always take it to your local PC shop for a bit of diagnostics and pay them some money do the troubles and it will still work out cheaper and better than pre-builds

Back
Top Bottom