PC Crashes /Rebooting - Possible PSU ?

Associate
"UPDATE 23.02.2020"

Thankfully two days later and all is well :) No rebooting, Crashing or anything out of the ordinary!

Bare with me this could be a lengthy post.

Yesterday out of the blue my pc went to a black screen and then restarted :( After a quick troubleshoot it continued to work perfectly fine for around an hour while playing HL2 and then did the same random black screen and restarted again.

I did a little digging checking temperatures, Background programs, Background usage, Changed GPU, Lowered my ram speed and nothing seems out of the ordinary so I went back to playing again for around an hour then the pc black screened, Restarted and would not load windows until I turned it off and back on again at the mains.

As soon as it loaded windows I logged in and it restarted again, Then went to a black screen which it did over and over every time I powered it off and back on.

I loaded into the bios multiple times to check the temperatures and volts there but after a few seconds stable it did the same and went to a black screen and rebooted. I didn't have much time to troubleshoot last night so I turned everything off and left it until I finished work today but now that I am home the pc is working perfectly normal.

Hardware.

EVGA Supernova GS 850W
Ryzen 2700x
R9 290x
MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
Vengeance LPX 3200 Ryzen Kit
Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

There's not much I can do unless the pc turns off again but I wondered if anyone else had any similar experiences?

Last edited:
Soldato
That's something failing in hardware level.
First thing to do would be stripping PC to minimum parts.
Though there's not much you can remove besides one DIMM and SSD to see if it stays table on BIOS that way.
But my guess would be on graphics card.
Do you have any even old low end card to test in place of that?

Associate
OP
Well after a couple of hours out of the house I came back to a pc black screened and it won't turn on at all.

I've tried different ram, gpu, ssd and a different psu and it won't boot so it's either the cpu or motherboard that's failed but I can't diagnose those as I dont have spares so im sure what to do :(

Soldato
Well after a couple of hours out of the house I came back to a pc black screened and it won't turn on at all.

I've tried different ram, gpu, ssd and a different psu and it won't boot so it's either the cpu or motherboard that's failed but I can't diagnose those as I dont have spares so im sure what to do :(
Take it out the case and breadboard if it's still the same then RMA both the motherboard and CPU.

Soldato
Also try clearing CMOS by disconnecting PC from power for like hour and remove BIOS battery.
Sometimes using jumper or taking battery otu for short time isn't enough.

Associate
OP
I tried it out of the case and it was still the same :( Resetting the cmos was tried a couple of times too but that didn't help either, I've definitely come to the conclusion that it's the motherboard (Maybe the cpu) as everything else works perfectly fine in another setup but I can't test the motherboard or cpu as I don't have the correct am4 spares lying around anymore (Typically after a recent clearout)

Anyhow, I've ordered another Gaming Plus Max which is due to be delivered thursday ;) Hopefully that will do the trick and if not then the cpu is next on the list but I have a feeling it's just a faulty motherboard as I've had a similar thing happen in the past.

Associate
Just a suggestion Chris.

Just say the motherboard has failed, could there be an underlying fault like the psu?

Just saying incase it has taken the motherboard out as it could then potentially take out the new one too.

I would be tempted to atleast check the voltages with as multimeter first. Back in the day you had to do a paperclip mod to fool the psu into thinking is was connected to your motherboard so it would start up.

Associate
OP
I was thinking that too so just for peace of mind I've got another pc running with no problems on that same psu. It's 3 years old after all so the thought has crossed my mind. I've checked it with the multimeter and everything is fine thankfully. That's not to say something is wrong but it all measures up but it's been running all day today.

The paperclip method works great too :D When I pulled the pc apart I checked with the multimeter before putting it in the other pc.

It's all good though, I am willing to rule out anything before I put it all back together again only to find out it's something I missed :eek:

Associate
OP
After endless days troubleshooting, I bought a new PSU and Motherboard then I borrowed a full AM4 setup from family and then tried various other components, GPU, RAM, CPU, PSU and various other bits and pieces I finally solved the issue I have been having and you wouldn't believe what the cause was.

My Reset Switch is faulty!

Out of curiosity and a last resort I switched the power and reset switches and the pc booted up perfectly fine :O Since I fitted a spare one from my box of parts it's been working perfect. I'm not sure what's wrong with the switch but it is the cause of the problem no doubt as when I put the switch on another system it has the exact same symptoms.

I've tested each and every component multiple times in my system and the borrowed system, Inside and outside the case ;) The only thing I never thought to check was the switches as I obviously did not think it could cause such a headache.

Just goes to show you that the smallest thing can be a massive bloody problem!

Associate
Had I seen this earlier I would have suggested checking the front io pins in case you missed a pin and/or incorrectly placed a pin. None the less a faulty reset switch (which I have had before but not to this extent) was the issue. glad you got it fixed.

Soldato
After endless days troubleshooting, I bought a new PSU and Motherboard then I borrowed a full AM4 setup from family and then tried various other components, GPU, RAM, CPU, PSU and various other bits and pieces I finally solved the issue I have been having and you wouldn't believe what the cause was.

My Reset Switch is faulty!

Out of curiosity and a last resort I switched the power and reset switches and the pc booted up perfectly fine :O Since I fitted a spare one from my box of parts it's been working perfect. I'm not sure what's wrong with the switch but it is the cause of the problem no doubt as when I put the switch on another system it has the exact same symptoms.

I've tested each and every component multiple times in my system and the borrowed system, Inside and outside the case ;) The only thing I never thought to check was the switches as I obviously did not think it could cause such a headache.

Just goes to show you that the smallest thing can be a massive bloody problem!

man honestly my CPU and motherboard would be half way to taiapi by now good catch!!!

Associate
OP
I've got no idea :D If the switch is faulty I suppose it was shorting out intermittently. I'm not sure at all.

It's been running fine all last night and today again though and that's with a good two hours of half life 2 update that's I've been replaying ;)

Yesterday when it finally booted I stressed it with prime95 for an hour and then ran a few other quick tests for gpu and then onto memtest with no problems.

"UPDATE 23.02.2020"

Thankfully two days later and all is well :) No rebooting, Crashing or anything out of the ordinary!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom