Pc crashing A LOT

Associate
Hey folks. Don't know where to start but I'll give it a go...

I get the dreaded BSOD of "VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR" randomly and is annoying the life outta me.

Basically I upgraded my pc from:
Asus z370 Strix
32gb 8pack ram

New bits I got from ocuk last week:
Asus Hero VIII x570
3900x
64gb gskill ram trident neo?

Using same video card (evga 1060 sc 6gb) as well as same M.2 drives and psu.

Tried old and new drivers for video card, tried studio and game, uninstalled then used ddu to verify clean in safe mode with no joy. I reinstalled windows twice, I used drivers from manufacturers and also tried the windows update drivers with no joy... I've updated the gpu bios also in ase there was an issue there as well as the motherboard one that was just released today/yesterday (5th Nov) and I'm stumped.

It's not over heating, it's completely random and doesn't even have to be anything intensive. Just scrolling through social media even does it.

I've also tried installing windows on different drives but no joy either.

There's only 1 thing I'm not sure about. I did buy a Asus hyper 16x M.2 v2 card for 2 nvme drives. The gpu in slot 1 and the hyper card in slot 2 which cuts the gpu down to 8x instead of 16x as it should. I done away with all the mechanical drives in my pc so kind of need the hyper card for any storage really currently. Do you think it could be it?

Sorry to rant on guys but really need help. I'll prob try the Asus card in morning to see what I can come up with there but anything else would be appreciated.

P. S. Im using the 8 pin for cpu and there is a 4 pin beside it but when I connect both the pc won't post and will only post with 8pin... The psu is a 1000i corsair and has connections for it and should have ran it I though... Just food for thought if it makes any difference.

EDIT: I noticed also that the screen/s (2 of them) would go black randomly for 1/2 seconds the odd time also. Forgot to mention. Also address model of ram.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you tried reseating the Gpu? Check there is no debris in the pciex16 slot and give the Gpu a clean where it plugs into this.

Associate
OP
Have you tried reseating the Gpu? Check there is no debris in the pciex16 slot and give the Gpu a clean where it plugs into this.

I have indeed and I blew it out with a tin of compressed air, I havnt tried it in another slot however as I always thought if using 1 gpu your to use slot 1 yes?

Soldato
I have indeed and I blew it out with a tin of compressed air, I havnt tried it in another slot however as I always thought if using 1 gpu your to use slot 1 yes?

Indeed the Gpu always goes into slot 1 but you can test in slot 2 to rule out slot 1 being faulty. Have you got access to a spare Gpu or 2nd rig to test in to rule that out also?

Associate
OP
Indeed the Gpu always goes into slot 1 but you can test in slot 2 to rule out slot 1 being faulty. Have you got access to a spare Gpu or 2nd rig to test in to rule that out also?
Unfortunately I dont have access to another gpu nor another computer as I sold most of my old bits :( will try it in another slot here this morning.

What is an a lot? Is it a program you are running?
Sorry I forgot a space in there. It's meant to say "A LOT" as in very frequently. Sorry, poor English on my part.

Associate
I used to get crashes in WOT a lot if vsync was disabled. Which meant that GPU is working harder than it should and in turn means overheating
I went watercooling and never had a problem since even when oc the card to +150core +900 mem

Associate
OP
I used to get crashes in WOT a lot if vsync was disabled. Which meant that GPU is working harder than it should and in turn means overheating
I went watercooling and never had a problem since even when oc the card to +150core +900 mem

I monitor the temps of all on my 2nd monitor as well as activity and nothing is being stressed, I don't even play games any more if I'm honest. It's completely random crashing... I can't seem to pin point it to any 1 bit of software. And even reinstalled Windows,i did however get the new 1909 iso from the media creator from Microsoft but I was running and insider build on my old system so I assumed it would be OK now that's its officially released.

Associate
OP
Hey folks, so a little update on this issue. I have done all mentioned above and doesn't make any difference that I can see. I did however remember my nephew had a rx580, so i persuaded him to swap gpus for a few days. Have done so and both of us "seem" to be running fine the last 2 days. My PC hasn't crashed YET, and he is gaming away and he used a little davinci resolve yesterday too and it done all for him perfectly. Anyone got any idea whats going on? He is also on AMD system, I think its a 2700x with 16gb ram in his setup.

Associate
it might be a conflict with the GPU and PCI-E expansion card, I know you said you sorta need it, but do you still need it if it's causing the issue? I'd try just running a single OS/game drive for a while, see if the crashing goes away with the removal of that expansion card.

Associate
OP
it might be a conflict with the GPU and PCI-E expansion card, I know you said you sorta need it, but do you still need it if it's causing the issue? I'd try just running a single OS/game drive for a while, see if the crashing goes away with the removal of that expansion card.
Thats true, the storage is of no use if the computer keeps crashing. So put the original gpu back in and remove the hyper card with the 2x nvme drives and test again? I'm still puzzled though when I throw a AMD gpu in that all seems to be working. I keep saying seems because with me there is always some catch that I'm caught with somewhere.

Soldato
Thats true, the storage is of no use if the computer keeps crashing. So put the original gpu back in and remove the hyper card with the 2x nvme drives and test again? I'm still puzzled though when I throw a AMD gpu in that all seems to be working. I keep saying seems because with me there is always some catch that I'm caught with somewhere.

First place I would look: GPU not seated correctly, GPU power leads not seated correctly (use separate leads from the PSU, not a splitter), PSU not supplying enough power to GPU.

P. S. Im using the 8 pin for cpu and there is a 4 pin beside it but when I connect both the pc won't post and will only post with 8pin... The psu is a 1000i corsair and has connections for it and should have ran it I though... Just food for thought if it makes any difference.

1WDN1kF.jpg

If you mean these connectors here labelled as "1", they both have to be connected, but often just the 8 pin will allow you to boot, but your system will not be stable in exactly the way you describe.

IIRC, that's usually auxiliary power to the CPU. It needs to be plugged in or you will have exactly these kinds of problems. It may be that your PSU is drooping under load and won't power up the board when connected, but when unconnected, anything that needs that extra power (CPU and GPU) is making the system fall over when it calls for that power, and the second cable isn't plugged into provide it.

Associate
OP
First place I would look: GPU not seated correctly, GPU power leads not seated correctly (use separate leads from the PSU, not a splitter), PSU not supplying enough power to GPU.

Yea have seated it in several times as well as tried it in the 2nd slot as advised above mate, so I think that bit is covered. Using the power connector direct from psu as you described too.

1WDN1kF.jpg

If you mean these connectors here labelled as "1", they both have to be connected, but often just the 8 pin will allow you to boot, but your system will not be stable in exactly the way you describe.

IIRC, that's usually auxiliary power to the CPU. It needs to be plugged in or you will have exactly these kinds of problems. It may be that your PSU is drooping under load and won't power up the board when connected, but when unconnected, anything that needs that extra power (CPU and GPU) is making the system fall over when it calls for that power, and the second cable isn't plugged into provide it.

Yes that's the connectors exactly. See that's what I thought too but when I plug in the 4 pin from the psu also the pc wont do anything. In fact if I recall its like the psu makes like a beep and all the fans in the pc get like a little "burst" for lack of a better word of electricity as if it attempts to turn on but nothing. No error code displayed either.

EDIT: another little update, I looked about the house as I knew I bought another few power supplys over the years and had extra cables laying about somewhere and found another cpu one, and by jingo it boots with this one attached, so other cable may be damaged or whatever but it wouldn't post with it and it does this one, do you think this could have been my issue all along perhaps? The lack of power being able to supply , cpu, gpu, hyper card etc? even so, why is the rx580 working perfect and not my 1060, looked up the specs and the 580 seems to be more power hungry than the 580 too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes that's the connectors exactly. See that's what I thought too but when I plug in the 4 pin from the psu also the pc wont do anything. In fact if I recall its like the psu makes like a beep and all the fans in the pc get like a little "burst" for lack of a better word of electricity as if it attempts to turn on but nothing. No error code displayed either.

It could be the PSU protection kicking in a refusing to power up when it's sensing an attempt to draw more power than it can supply at boot time. Without the 4 pin cable, there's less power draw, so you get a boot up. But without that cable, you aren't supplying enough power to make the system stable. That burst/beep is an error state, and it may be the PSU detecting a short in the 4 pin power cable and shutting down to not damage the motherboard.

EDIT: another little update, I looked about the house as I knew I bought another few power supplys over the years and had extra cables laying about somewhere and found another cpu one, and by jingo it boots with this one attached, so other cable may be damaged or whatever but it wouldn't post with it and it does this one, do you think this could have been my issue all along perhaps? The lack of power being able to supply , cpu, gpu, hyper card etc? even so, why is the rx580 working perfect and not my 1060, looked up the specs and the 580 seems to be more power hungry than the 580 too.

You absolutely need to have that four pin power connector populated. It's there for a reason, and without it you will get exactly the kind of system instability that you describe. Also be careful when swapping cables between different PSUs, manufacturers can wire them up differently at the PSU end. You may have a damaged or burned out bit of cable, it's been known to happen before.

The R580 may draw less power at boot time, or just have better power management. I imagine that you've left the Radeon Settings at the default "balanced" mode. Try pushing it with a bit of overclocking and set power to +50, and you may well get the same problems when you make it do a bit of 3D gaming.

I think it's very likely the extra 4 pin cable will fix the problem, as not getting the system to boot with it in place is a big red flag, and you can't reliably run a system without that 4 pin power connector in place and doing it's job.

Associate
OP
It could be the PSU protection kicking in a refusing to power up when it's sensing an attempt to draw more power than it can supply at boot time. Without the 4 pin cable, there's less power draw, so you get a boot up. But without that cable, you aren't supplying enough power to make the system stable. That burst/beep is an error state, and it may be the PSU detecting a short in the 4 pin power cable and shutting down to not damage the motherboard.

You absolutely need to have that four pin power connector populated. It's there for a reason, and without it you will get exactly the kind of system instability that you describe. Also be careful when swapping cables between different PSUs, manufacturers can wire them up differently at the PSU end. You may have a damaged or burned out bit of cable, it's been known to happen before.

The R580 may draw less power at boot time, or just have better power management. I imagine that you've left the Radeon Settings at the default "balanced" mode. Try pushing it with a bit of overclocking and set power to +50, and you may well get the same problems when you make it do a bit of 3D gaming.

I think it's very likely the extra 4 pin cable will fix the problem, as not getting the system to boot with it in place is a big red flag, and you can't reliably run a system without that 4 pin power connector in place and doing it's job.

Yea I was thinking they wouldn't of put the 4 pin in for no reason, but then upon my reading a seen a few said the computer can run with 8 pin so i guess me being me i never passed no remarks on it once the computer started working. I forgot then that it wasn't connected. All my previous power supply's were corsair with "type4" connectors so made sure the new cable I used said the same before I tried it. Either way my pc has been on now for 10 hours running furmark cpu and gpu bench with no crashes while i monitored all with hwmonitor, I know its not the best software to use but I hardly ever do any stress testing etc so I thought its better than nothing.

Ill keep trying this 580 tonight and tomorrow and if all goes well Ill get my 1060 back from my nephew and try it again. I'm kind of embarrassed if that's what was causing my issues all along. Real amateur move as I've been building pcs for decades. I will keep you posted with my outcomes and thank you for your help thus far and also to everyone else.

Associate
OP
Hey folks it's me back again with another update/problem.... Long story short, the pc hasn't crashed as such with the 580 in place however, the pc has frozen 3/4 times today for around 15 seconds each time. Screen goes black the same way it did before and thought that's it, it's going to show the BSOD but nope, screens came back on and it was now unfrozen and could continue with my work. So I thought right something still isn't right here, so stripped the pc down again, cleaned all upon removal, reseated ram (different order from before for the heck of it) put cooler back on, gpu and all back in looked all over and went to boot it and was met with beep codes and error codes on the led display. 0d was one which manual said was ram issue so ensured all ram was in tight and it was, tried pc on again and came up with another code for ram (can't remember the code but manual said it was memory related) so took all ram out and reseated once again and its now booted however something else is weird, the RGB on the ram (which I noticed before but didn't pay no attention to it as I hadn't RGB software installed) isn't working right... 3 of the 4 sticks are like a rainbow effect but 1 is stuck in the same cour it booted with, like an orange going to green colour. And I think it's the same stick as before when I last noticed it. Doubt the RGB makes any difference but I am wondering would there be a ram issue by any chance? Tried running me test but came up with an error about can't allocate memory or something so testing with Windows memory checker currently weather its any good or not. I'm just getting so sick of this, I just want it to work.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1BAgc8R0QNmMo6-nez-q5TQWdOar7-pk9

Edit: put link to my G drives with a video showing RGB and ram test

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you checked that when you connect the four pin (as shown in the above diagram) it's a CPU and not PCI-E connector you're using?

They can look very similar, in my case I've a six pin (from the PSU) CPU connector plugged into my four pin port, and yes that does work as long as you connect it properly.

Make sure you're using the correct leads and are plugging them in as intended.

Also make sure you're running the most up to date bios, I know some X570's have had multiple updates over the past few months to solve X amount of problems.

Associate
OP
Sounds like the PSU might not be supplying enough power.
It was working perfect before I changed bits but I suppose anything is possible, I've a corsair 650w same model I wonder would it be enough to test.

Have you checked that when you connect the four pin (as shown in the above diagram) it's a CPU and not PCI-E connector you're using?

They can look very similar, in my case I've a six pin (from the PSU) CPU connector plugged into my four pin port, and yes that does work as long as you connect it properly.

Make sure you're using the correct leads and are plugging them in as intended.

Also make sure you're running the most up to date bios, I know some X570's have had multiple updates over the past few months to solve X amount of problems.

Yea I have indeed checked mate, says CPU on side of cable at 1 end and type4 the same as the rest of my cables at the other end. Bios was updated mate as examined in first post... Well it was latest one they had at that time anyhow. Also updated bios on initial GPU.. The 1060. Would this be causing the ram weirdness too?

Aww so many issues with this system I'm almost at point of giving up... The minute you think you have it sorted it goes belly up again. Ready to cry.

EDIT: Memory test from windows states memory results found no errors. So I guess that rules out the memory as an issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom