PC died

Man of Honour
Do the 5800X3Ds have a higher than usual failure rate? This is the first time in 26 years of home PC building I’ve had a CPU failure!
My uninformed impression from the forums and the few RMA stats widely published is that modern AMD/Intel CPUs do have higher failure rates (e.g. 11th gen is higher than 8/9th gen), but if that's true, I guess their complexity with lots of cores, cache and higher power draw might be a factor compared to the quad cores we had forever.

Soldato
My uninformed impression from the forums and the few RMA stats widely published is that modern AMD/Intel CPUs do have higher failure rates (e.g. 11th gen is higher than 8/9th gen), but if that's true, I guess their complexity with lots of cores, cache and higher power draw might be a factor compared to the quad cores we had forever.

Assuming that was true, we'd have seen buckets of dead Bulldozer etc chips tbh.

Soldato
OP
Ok so it does appear to be a dead CPU. Which I bought used on eBay last month. Annoying the return window closed on the 26th according to eBay.

I stuck my sons CPU into my wifes board and it booted fine so through process of elimination, it can only really be the CPU.

Soldato
Ok so it does appear to be a dead CPU. Which I bought used on eBay last month. Annoying the return window closed on the 26th according to eBay.

I stuck my sons CPU into my wifes board and it booted fine so through process of elimination, it can only really be the CPU.
That's rough, I hope you got a damn good deal on it given new 5700X3D's can be had for around £200.

Soldato
OP
message the guy you bought it off and see if he'll provide you the original receipt. nothing to lose if he doesn't respond.
Yeah have asked for that along with more details on its usage history. The listing originally said “not overclocked” and changing out because of an upgrade. No reason to doubt any of that.

Soldato
Just for closure, fitted a brand new 5700X3D at the weekend and the PC is back up and running again. The seller hasn't responded to me yet. Not wanting to jump to conclusions (but I will :D) but I'm starting to think they knew it was on its way out (maybe crashing or exhibiting symptoms).

Always a risk when buying used off EBay, which is why I never do.

Back
Top Bottom