PC doesn't work due to brand new HDD?

Associate
Hello, I've recently bought a brand new 1TB hard drive due to my older one failing. Before installing my hard drive I was operating windows on my SSD, however as soon as I installed the Hard Drive, the PC kept saying that my "PC/device has to be repaired" and that "the automatic repair couldn't repair your PC".
I've already tried to manually repair it by using a ISO windows file on my flash drive but during installing the update, it had said that "Setup cannot continue due to a corrupted installation file." So I had decided to completely reformat my SSD and do a clean install of windows, the same thing happened again. I've tried to reinstall the ISO file multiple times and used different USB ports on my system but none of these methods worked.
I've tried to do the control panel method but it hadn't detected any problems with my SSD nor my HDD. I've even disconnected my HDD to see if it would work without it but to no avail. Can anyone please help me with this strange situation?

Specs -
CPU - i5-6600k
GPU - GTX 1060 6gb
RAM - 8GB
Power Supply- Corsair CX 550
SSD - SanDisk 480gb
HDD - WD 1TB

Soldato
So at this point has your main SSD been wiped? I would start by reinstalling Windows on to that, or making sure it's running ok. Do that without the HDD connected at all.

Once your system is running ok with the SSD, try booting into windows with the hard drive attached. You may want to adjust the BIOS boot order so it doesn't try to boot from the HDD before the SSD.

In terms of preparing a USB, I find getting a legitimate ISO from Microsoft and using a tool called Rufus is best. Since I found Rufus I haven't had any USB installation issues at all!

Soldato
If original HDD had been connected to PC at time of Windows installation, OS bootloader could have been installed to it.
(Microsoft's installers aren't to be trusted)
But if bootloader was in failed drive BIOS should give error about not finding OS drive.

Have you made sure every cable is firmly attached?

Associate
OP
Thank you all for the replies!
First of all yes I had made sure that the cables were firmly connected and that the SSD was wiped as I wanted to have a fresh Installation of Windows.
I do not believe the bootloader was also installed into the original HDD due to the PC running well for months after it was removed. The problem had only occurred when installing this new one.
I have now tried using Rufus but it didn't work out sadly, the same thing occurred.
I have for multiple times tried to do a fresh install with just the SSD but it kept bring up the message that "Setup cannot continue due to a corrupted installation file."
I'm honestly stumped at this point

Last edited:
Soldato
Make a bootable Ubuntu USB pendrive and see if you can format the drive via that interface.

Presuming you've tried a different SATA cable/and or slot?

Associate
OP
Thanks for all your support guys! :)
I have now successfully done a fresh install. This was achieved by deleting the partitions that was leftover on the driver.
However I would like to know how to safely implement my 1TB HDD into my PC as I would prefer not to go through this headache of an experience again.
But once again, thanks for all the support! :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I have now successfully done a fresh install. This was achieved by deleting the partitions that was leftover on the driver.
However I would like to know how to safely implement my 1TB HDD into my PC as I would prefer not to go through this headache of an experience again.
All you can do is connect it and try it out - but it should be OK.

You've reformatted and installed Windows using best practice - with only one drive attached.

Hello, I've recently bought a brand new 1TB hard drive due to my older one failing.
Your original Windows install probably spread itself across the 2 drives (your old failing drive) - so, hopefully, adding your additional HDD shouldn't have an adverse impact as you've ensured that Windows 10 (MBR) is now solely on the SSD.

Back
Top Bottom