• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC fails Prime95 at stock

Soldato
Hi

Having recently got my FX-62 back from RMA my PC still isn't working properly (the old chip definitely was faulty though and it'd only run at 2GHz)

At 2.8GHz, 1.4V Prime95 will fail on both cores after about 15 minutes. If I increase the voltage to 1.45V Prime95 will fail after about 25 minutes.

The chip gets hot but not too hot (65 degrees C). This is with a Zalman CNPS9500-AM2 cooler at full speed (very noisy unfortunately!) and an Antec Amber 120mm case fan.

I'm using an Antec Neo HE 550W PSU and the voltages are rock solid under load at 3.30V, 5.05V and 12.20V. I'm using Geil PC6400C4 memory at stock (400MHz 4-4-4-12 2.15V) on an MSI K9N SLI Platinum motherboard (nForce 570 Ultra)

The PC worked perfectly with my temporary X2 3800+ @ 2GHz stock and it was also far quieter as the Zalman cooler could be on low speed!

I'm running Vista Business 64-bit. The PC is stable apart from in Test Drive Unlimited which caused me to try Prime 95

Does anyone have any ideas?

Soldato
65 degrees is too hot IMHO, I think you need to re-seat the cooler. Take it off clean off all the old thermal paste, examine the base of the cooler for any defects and lap if neccesary then re-fit using some decent thermal paste.

/Edit - My 4200 X2 @ 2900Mhz sits at 31c Idle and 46 with both cores under load.

Soldato
OP
PieEater said:
65 degrees is too hot IMHO, I think you need to re-seat the cooler. Take it off clean off all the old thermal paste, examine the base of the cooler for any defects and lap if neccesary then re-fit using some decent thermal paste.

/Edit - My 4200 X2 @ 2900Mhz sits at 31c Idle and 46 with both cores under load.

Thanks for your replies. It does sound hot to me and I've reseated it but I'm not sure why it's still so hot. Maybe the FXs are hot CPUs? I'll look into it though as I like a quiet PC and the Zalman at full whack definitely isn't quiet!

I've been trying Orthos Beta with Small FFTs and that's been going for an hour now on both cores without any problems (touch wood) and the temp's currently at 63 degrees.

I had been using Large FFTs on Prime95 when it failed - perhaps it's a memory issue?

Soldato
OP
I haven't actually. I might test it using Memtest and see if that flags up anything

I'm worried about the temp though - I put the side of the case back on and it climbed to 80 degrees so I promptly removed it! I'm sure it used to be fine ages ago when I first built the PC with the old FX chip

Which way around should I have the Zalman cooler? Should the fan on the Zalman cooler be facing the case fan or should it be the other way around? There seems to be a hot spot behind the cooler at the moment. I've currently got the fan on the Zalman cooler facing the case fan (they're both on the same side)

Currently at 1hr 25 with Orthos Beta on small FFTs so maybe it's not the CPU, it's the memory

Soldato
OP
I've just had a look and I can't see any that are touching it. I'm not sure that it is mounted properly as I can twist it slightly from side to side. I've reduced the voltage back to 1.4V on the fly (using the MSI Dual Core Centre) and that's reduced the temp to 58 degrees. I wonder whether that'll reduce it's stability at all

Soldato
Your temps are way too hot. For X2/FX processors at stock, you should be getting between 25-35C idle and 35-45C under load. 55C would be the max, anymore and I'd be concerned.

Soldato
adslegend said:
I wouldn't worry - Prime95 is POS and badly coded.

Not on my rigs that never ever fail it. Seeings as you're an expert programmer wheres your well coded non POS alternative?

To the OP, seeing as you had prior problems, it may not be the chips, could be the power circuit on the motherboard not being up to scratch for the load of the FX-62. Have u tried a different board? The increase of stability with increase of voltage leads me to think its power related somewhere along the line.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Justintime said:
To the OP, seeing as you had prior problems, it may not be the chips, could be the power circuit on the motherboard not being up to scratch for the load of the FX-62. Have u tried a different board? The increase of stability with increase of voltage leads me to think its power related somewhere along the line.

Thanks for the reply - that's a good idea

I was using an ASUS M2N-E before which worked well until I started to have some problems with the system. I changed the CPU which solved most of the problems but it still wasn't completely stable so I changed the motherboard to the MSI K9N SLI Platinum

Soldato
65c is too much for a64, as an example my opteron at 2.85ghz will error out if its temp reaches 60c like i did with my old cooler. so i had to drop down to 2.8ghz, with new cooler i can maintain my 2.85ghz since the temps are always under 52c.

Soldato
OP
It passed an hour of S&M - I just hit go and it tested both cores of the CPU then the available ram (not much in Vista!) but the temp didn't go above about 55 degrees - far cooler than the 60 degrees+ under Orthos Beta

I've increased the voltage to the memory to 2.2V from 2.15V and I'm currently running the Large FFTs test on both cores (two copies) using Prime 95

Good point about the temp. I'll reseat the CPU - perhaps I used too much Artic Silver - and I'm looking at how I might improve the airflow as as far as I can see I can't mount a fan in the front of the case. I'll have a look on the Zalman website too to see if they suggest which war around to mount the cooler - if it's the wrong way then it might be fighting against the case fan and disrupting the airflow

Soldato
My system passed Prime 95, running twice (each instance locked to a specific core), for 24 hours with zero errors.

I wouldnt say there is a fundamental problem with Prime95, with the exception that it is unable to tell you where the problem with a computer is, only that the computer makes errors in mathamatical calculations.

str

str

Soldato
There must be something seriously wrong with your CPU cooling with results like that. Like others have said maybe it's not mounted properly? It's likely even the stock AMD cooler would perform much better! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom