PC fans go full throttle, monitors go standby until restart nothing will fix

Associate
My pc started to randomly do this thing where the fans would ramp up to a high speed and my monitors would disconnect from my pc / lose signal however my pc is still fully functional and I can move around in the game/ still talk to my friends on discord. This issue can only be fixed by shutting the pc off and on again and now happens as soon as I load any game up and get into actual gameplay the error occurs. I can show a video if that helps anymore just really trying to resolve the issue while I still have some of my Christmas break left.

Associate
What are your system specifications?

If your CPU has onboard graphics, which this issue occurs, move your display cable to the onboard graphics to see if display reappears.

This could be a bad driver, causing your system to crash which then ramps up your fans as they are no longer being controlled by any installed software.
Have you looked in Event Viewer to see any critical errors?

Edit: actually, you mentioned you can still move around in game. Its pointing to your GPU. I had this happen to me before, I had to uninstall driver and reinstall.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Corsair vengance 32GB 3200Mhz
Gigabyte x570 GAMING X motherboard
Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080 Super
Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7ghz
Corsair RM850

By CPU onboard graphic do you mean put my displays into my motherboard's plugs?

I thought it may drivers however I did a full reset of the PC and redownloaded everything in hopes it would sort it but nothing changed, I have always got frequent bluescreens with the PC but I've never done anything but they've not really bugged me that much. Event viewer is pretty full (idk I've never checked it before) but this kernel error has happened before :).

Associate
Unfortunately your CPU does not have integrated graphics, I checked this on the AMD website.

As a reset reinstalls Windows OS and removes all drivers, have you reinstalled drivers for your Motherboard and checked Windows updates?

Install this software called Blue Screen Viewer to see if it has any BSOD information to find the cause: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

You can paste an image here of the full info or copy and paste.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Are you using anything like armoury crate, dragon centre (don't know gigabyte's equivalent), or afterburner, or anything that hooks into the BIOS (like automated overclocking tools)? If you are, uninstall them.

I have always got frequent bluescreens with the PC but I've never done anything but they've not really bugged me that much.

Yikes, really? Have you done any memory stability testing? Checked smart data / scanned your SSD for errors?

Associate
OP
Are you using anything like armoury crate, dragon centre (don't know gigabyte's equivalent), or afterburner, or anything that hooks into the BIOS (like automated overclocking tools)? If you are, uninstall them.

Yikes, really? Have you done any memory stability testing? Checked smart data / scanned your SSD for errors?
I got a new SSD recently and only keep my old one for video storage so i doubt that would be the issue but i can check. for "Are you using anything like armoury crate, dragon centre" no i am not, i am a neglectful PC owner and im trying to sort it out at the moment so i will look into all of this but i also dont think anything is overclocked as ive checked recently a few times trying to fix this error.

Associate
OP
Unfortunately your CPU does not have integrated graphics, I checked this on the AMD website.

As a reset reinstalls Windows OS and removes all drivers, have you reinstalled drivers for your Motherboard and checked Windows updates?

Install this software called Blue Screen Viewer to see if it has any BSOD information to find the cause: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

You can paste an image here of the full info or copy and paste.
I downloaded that thing and it just seemed to come up as an empty table so ill play around with it a bit to see if i can get it working

Associate
I downloaded that thing and it just seemed to come up as an empty table so ill play around with it a bit to see if i can get it working
Ah, okay, this program would find any BSOD dump files and put them into an easy to read format.

When you said you reset Windows, how did you do this? Was this the method from Settings - System - Recovery?

I'm not a fan of this method and never found it useful. I've found it cause further issues with the operating system then actually fix it.

In one of your previous posts, you said you reinstalled everything. Could you confirm this includes your drivers for your motherboard?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ah, okay, this program would find any BSOD dump files and put them into an easy to read format.

When you said you reset Windows, how did you do this? Was this the method from Settings
Yes from the setting complete fresh reinstall through the cloud option. the issue was happening before this so im not sure if it is the issue but it could be anything at this point.

Associate
Okay, let's start from scratch.

Let's completely uninstall display driver by doing the below:
1. Download latest driver for your GPU (do not install it), leave it in your downloads folder.
2. Press Windows key + R, type in msconfig
3. This opens a new Window, select Boot, then under Boot Options, select Safe and leave it on minimal
4. Restart PC to boot into safe mode
5. Open Device Manager and uninstall your driver for 2080 and uninstall any Nvidia appilications/software from Program and features, to access this, type in appwiz.cpl in search bar.
6. Once everything is uninstalled, reboot system (display may look weird).
7. Finally, go to your downloads folder and install your display driver

In my experience, I've never found the recovery method in Windows useful. I've found it cause further issues with the operating system then actually fix it. So, we could open command prompt and run command: sfc /scannow to check that the operating system isn't corrupt.

We can also try a chdsk, just to run a scan on your SSD.

In one of your previous posts, you said you reinstalled everything. Could you confirm this includes your drivers for your motherboard?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Okay, let's start from scratch.

Let's completely uninstall display driver by doing the below:
1. Download latest driver for your GPU (do not install it), leave it in your downloads folder.
2. Press Windows key + R, type in msconfig
3. This opens a new Window, select Boot, then under Boot Options, select Safe and leave it on minimal
4. Restart PC to boot into safe mode
5. Open Device Manager and uninstall your driver for 2080 and uninstall any Nvidia appilications/software from Program and features, to access this, type in appwiz.cpl in search bar.
6. Once everything is uninstalled, reboot system (display may look weird).
7. Finally, go to your downloads folder and install your display driver

In my experience, I've never found the recovery method in Windows useful. I've found it cause further issues with the operating system then actually fix it. So, we could open command prompt and run command: sfc /scannow to check that the operating system isn't corrupt.

We can also try a chdsk, just to run a scan on your SSD.

on my phone as my PC is in safe mode but i cannot find my GPU drivers in device manager i have taken a photo to show. photo of device manager

Associate
If it's not showing under "Display Adapters", then go back into msconfig and turn off Safe Boot. Boot back into Windows normally and check in Device manager again.

If it's still not showing, your system is not detecting the GPU. I'd turn off the PC, reseat your GPU and disconnect/reconnect the power connector to the GPU. Then turn system on and check again, if it's still not showing, go to Nvidia website and reinstall the driver.

Associate
OP
never mind i got that bit working but it won’t let me uninstall the Nvidia things due to “windows task scheduler should be running to continue”

Associate
OP
If it's not showing under "Display Adapters", then go back into msconfig and turn off Safe Boot. Boot back into Windows normally and check in Device manager again.

If it's still not showing, your system is not detecting the GPU. I'd turn off the PC, reseat your GPU and disconnect/reconnect the power connector to the GPU. Then turn system on and check again, if it's still not showing, go to Nvidia website and reinstall the driver.
Sorry phone wasnt the best way to be on this forum ive sorted it now and will try load a game up

Associate
never mind i got that bit working but it won’t let me uninstall the Nvidia things due to “windows task scheduler should be running to continue”
It's been a while since Ive done this myself, I tend to forget what you can/can't do during Safe mode.

To check that you have the latest version of the driver for your GPU, go into the properties for your GPU in device manager. Then compare this to the version in Geforce Experience

Associate
OP
It's been a while since Ive done this myself, I tend to forget what you can/can't do during Safe mode.

To check that you have the latest version of the driver for your GPU, go into the properties for your GPU in device manager. Then compare this to the version in Geforce Experience
i made sure i had the right one before currently doing ok loading up a game

Back
Top Bottom