PC freezing on graphics

Soldato
Nope, OCCT is rock stable also :rolleyes:
Just a thought- Has anyone else with these type of problems done any modding to use themes (I've patched UXTheme.dll, other common things are utils like Window Blinds)

Thats the trouble you see- There is no problem with any benchmark or any errors, or anything.

-Leezer-

Associate
erm ...no i dont do any modding or anything, bcoz mines onbaord graphics, i turned down the shared cache to 16m, i managed to last 30mins on CSS b4 it restarted...

Soldato
Dutch Guy said:
- Disable Fastwrites in the BIOS
- Set AGP aperture size to 256MB
- Set sound acceleration to standard in DXDIAG (start, run, type dxdiag, go to sound tab and set the slider to standard)

No AGP aperture or fastwrites in the BIOS. (PCI-E GFX card?).
Turned off write combining & the sound accel with no real effect- Maybe a little more gametime before crashing, but nothing significant.

-Leezer-

Soldato
bryn said:
Actually the sig is only one line :D I just put a divider in the main text to give folks all the info they would otherwise be asking me for.

Sorry you don't have anything meaningful to contribute - I really need some help here ;)

--
Bryn

LOL self appointed forum police make another incorrect conviction..

Anyway, I have something to suggest..

Run msinfo32 and look at hardware info, irq's and see how much sharing is going on between your grafx card and other items...

Try shifting some pci cards around to reduce it, and see if it improves...

I have had problems with USB sharing the same irq as the gfx card on another mobo so it may be a similar issue..

Just a thought

:D

Associate
Cheers Dr Who?
Will try that out, I'm still having reboots.
Have ruled out most things so IRQs could be the cause, have wondered about that as I have so many things on my usb hub. If it is the memory then that will get sorted next payday when I get a 2gb GSkill kit.
As long as I've got mine sorted for the Oblivion release I'll be happy.
I finally got to see a blue screen yesterday as normally it reboots to quickly, mine is telling me that it's a machine check exception which could mean any number of things.

Soldato
No sharing on my GFX card. No additional PCI cards either.
I'm leaning very much towards a BIOS issue, but I'm not going to flash back at the mo, as I need the current BIOS. (Only one that works properly with Linux :( )
Which BIOS mfg? (Award)

-Leezer-

Soldato
Apologies for the bumo :eek: , but SUCCUESS!!!
The magic setting is SMP table version in the BIOS- I believe that this has something to do with multi-core CPUs, but not sure :confused:
It needs to be set to 1.1, & no more crashes! It's also a good idea to put back anything else you twiddled looking for the solution to this ;)

-Leezer-

Associate
OP
Success I think.

I am building a new Opti machine, so I pinched 2 of the 512MB GeiL Value RAM modules out of this beast. Since then I have been able to run 3DMark2001/2003/2005 without freezing, and MS FlightSimulator has been running non-stop for 4 hours.

Seems the machine didn't like having 4 RAM modules. A bit of a puzzle why it didn't because all timings are on Auto, no overclocking, and the motherboard/CPU/BIOS are supposed to be able to support 4 modules at the full DDR400 rate.

###### computers.

--

Bryn

Back
Top Bottom