• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC Gamer: RX 6500 XT looks worse on paper than AMD's $199 GPU from six years ago

Soldato
I've seen a few comments from people that said it looks like things are going backwards in the GPU market. On the plus side, power consumption is down. Otherwise - this makes for rather depressing reading I think...

RX_6500_XT.gif

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/amd-rx-6500-xt-worse-than-rx-480/

Soldato
OP
This may be the most disappointing graphics card since the Geforce FX 5200.

On the other hand performance is probably not going to be that far off an Xbox Series S. If it can manage to run new titles on par with that console at 1080p and costs a bit less than the console, it'll do the job for a few people.

Soldato
The regression doesn't surprise me. Graphics card prices have been extortionate for over a year. Reducing the performance is the only alternative to hiking the prices. Releasing a bargain isn't an option.

Last edited:
Associate
What the actual.

I was really waiting for a new modern card that was at a reasonable price level. I'm bothered about the memory limits so much, but no encoding whatsoever really really is not helpful. My rx460 2gb does and i use it!
Sure i can use my R5 3600, but it's much much slower even when using all 12 threads at 100%

Soldato
I thought the 6600 was rubbish given it had worse MSRP price to performance over the 5600XT but this is a new low... what a waste of sand.

Soldato
OP
Tomshardware making a good point. At PCI-E 3.0 the bus bandwidth is going to be halved, which may present a significant enough bottleneck to affect performance on older motherboards. PCI-E 3.0 at X4 is limited to 4GB/s.

So this really may not be the best card for an affordable upgrade. Even if they did manage to find a decent spot on the price/performance curve.

Associate
The 6500XT does have a big 1GHz clock speed advantage over the 5500XT together with faster GDDR6 memory.
My biggest issues with the 6500XT besides having only 4GB and a 64bit memory bus, is that I fear the price is going to end up double of the MSRP :/

Here is a bit more detailed specs:
image-2022-01-07-214930.png

Associate
I thought this with the 6600 and same here. I think amd are specifically making these to be as cheap to produce as possible. I'd like to believe that its an attempt to get around the current shortages for the good of the market. But who knows why big corporations actually do things beyond "make the money go brrrrr"

It is a depressing state of affairs, best case scenario this thing will match the price to performance of the last gen with half the memory. And far more likely to lag behind on performance while actually hitting the market at a much higher price. But I don't think amd are trying to screw their customers over, so much as the market is screwing everyone over.

Back
Top Bottom