• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC Gamer: RX 6500 XT looks worse on paper than AMD's $199 GPU from six years ago

Soldato
Yeah, and all the mainstream reviewers did their best to put down a GPU that came in at £179, is that put down going to anywhere near as trying for the RTX 3050 when it comes in at £250 or even £300? No. And they will pat themselves on the back for services to combating the problem.

Hypocrites.

You're calling this out before it's even happened. The 6500XT rightfully got panned in (nearly) every review, because it is an utter embarrassment.
Stop pretending like AMD and Nvidia are innocent in all this. Setting unrealistic MSRPs for cards, or selling some at a loss doesn't make them poor little souls.

Not sure why folk on here are getting their knickers in a twist about this card. It’s clearly not aimed at the majority of folk in this forum.

It's worse than the card it replaces.

Caporegime
The same AIB partners make all the dGPUs for Dell,etc. They seem to be fine. The reality is I know so many PC gamers(me included) who are not going to entertain this blatant price fixing in the market. I have seen more of my formerly PC exclusive mates just get a console.

AMD/Nvidia need to stop excuse making and sort it out. If they simply think that the RX7500XT and RTX4050 can be £400(because miners) with crap performance,then I know what a lot of my PC gaming friends will do(me included). Stick with our desktops now,and if it does not improve in a year or two after that,the desktops will be run into the ground. For our non-gamig purposes laptops are good enough now,and we will get a console and be done with it,or spend it on our other hobbies.So our spend on PCs will reduce.

Come on... AMD are not going to tell MSI, Gigabyte and Asus they are going to be sending them less GPU's and making reference cards for their own site instead, how do you think those guys will react to some one like AMD with <15% market share?

Associate
Not sure why folk on here are getting their knickers in a twist about this card. It’s clearly not aimed at the majority of folk in this forum.

It’s about getting cards into the hands of the kind of people that want to run a PC for playing something such as Fortnite on as cheap as they can.

It’s for the parents of kids who want to play on a PC but they can’t get a hold of a GPU because they’re all scalped.

This isn’t a card I personally would ever buy or consider but I get why they’ve released it.

That is the issue, it's for people who dont know better.. for tec naive people and it's a DUD product, worse performance than the previous generation on PCIE 4.

Those kids that are the victim of this card are gonna grow up, they're gonna realise they're gimped gamers.. they're gonna want to play other games at some point.. maybe record it.. try and stream it.. then they're gonna complain to their parents and get beaten for being ungrateful.. shame AMD, shame on you !

Soldato
+1

And they want $299 for it in 2022…

Corrected for you,once all the pandemic profiteers get their "pandemic" cut on later batches.

RRP is only the pricing for the first 30 minutes now it appears.

I expect the "pandemic" tax to stay the same even if it goes away tommorrow. Just like "temporary flood pricing" for HDDs became a permanent flood of increased HDD pricing and lower warranties for the last decade.

The pricing "pandemic" will stay permanent and so will the record increases in margins.

Man of Honour
Intel: oh no, AMD are stealing our thunder! <sees 6500 xt> Oh wait, nice ideas bro <removes half the memory chips on every card and adds £50 to rrp> :p

Soldato
AIB's CAT, the fact that AIB's are making record profit suggests they are scalping. If AMD / Nvidia set a Recommended Retail Price, which they do, they can't then sell in to the supply chain above that, which means AIB's are the ones profiteering and AMD / Nvidia get the blame for it.
Everyone is scalping, Nvidia are replacing the low BOM cards like the 3080 with cards like the 3080ti and 3080 12gb so they can increase their cut as they see AIBs selling them for double, you have AMD increasing MSRPs to make sure they get their cut while delivering products that are frankly insulting in 2022 then the retailers are adding an extra bit on for themselves so basically the cards now retail for scalper prices and the money that scalpers were getting is now being split between AMD, Nvidia the AIBs and retailers.

Soldato
Intel: oh no, AMD are stealing our thunder! <sees 6500 xt> Oh wait, nice ideas bro <removes half the memory chips on every card and adds £50 to rrp> :p
It's actually a golden opportunity for Intel to gain some mindshare on a new product line if they can keep prices down and offer decent performance but this issue is they are using the same AIBs who will no doubt price the cards at what they think should be the cost rather than what Intel set the MSRP at unless Intel can force them to stick to it.

Soldato
It's actually a golden opportunity for Intel to gain some mindshare on a new product line if they can keep prices down and offer decent performance but this issue is they are using the same AIBs who will no doubt price the cards at what they think should be the cost rather than what Intel set the MSRP at unless Intel can force them to stick to it.

They wouldn't even need to release something that great. Just outclass the 6500XT and they'll get customers, even if their drivers are awful.

Associate
I can hear Jenson now. The 3050 is double the performance of the 6500xt, obviously doesn't mention 15 seconds after launch it's double the price too. Looking forward to the wtf nvidia threads.

Soldato
Nope, I'm not accepting that. Second hand market is screwed, you know yourself that there are ways and means to get cards at a reasonable price, new and second hand. I would rather (which I most definately will not ) buy a 6600XT at current price for double the performance and none of the gimpage.

You must have been asleep for the last 2 years for a statement as that. GTX 1650 are selling for more than this card, and GT730`s are £80.

Caporegime
Corrected for you,once all the pandemic profiteers get their "pandemic" cut on later batches.

RRP is only the pricing for the first 30 minutes now it appears.

I expect the "pandemic" tax to stay the same even if it goes away tommorrow. Just like "temporary flood pricing" for HDDs became a permanent flood of increased HDD pricing and lower warranties for the last decade.

The pricing "pandemic" will stay permanent and so will the record increases in margins.

On the plus side , crypto continues to drop. If it keeps doing so and sits in "crypto winter" or so they call it, the graphics card market will come back to a semblance of normality. Recreational mining is already and the combination of falling crypto prices and rising electricity prices is meaning it is on the verge of not being worth it.

As soon as gpus arent pumping out free money , making themselves effectively free after a few months, normality will resume.

Associate
A Linux NPI SW Architect at AMD now confirms the 6500XT (Navi 24) was in fact designed for the upcoming Ryzen 6000 laptops.
https://www.phoronix.com/forums/for...h-radeon-rx-6500-xt-support/page2#post1303444

That explains the missing H264/265/AV1 encoding (and PCIe 4.0 ×4) since the Rembrandt APU itself has encoding support, including AV1 decoding.
435771.png

Back
Top Bottom