PC just caught fire

Associate
Well what an evening my gaming rig just caught fire, destroyed my MSI 3080 and Z590-E motherboard. Looks like i wont be gaming for a while.

Least the SSD / Memory / CPU are okay.

Better start looking for a new Z590 motherboard.

Associate
OP
Dunno the case starting sparking the pcie slot melted and took the 3080 with - it i was using a corsair rm1000. Just gutted as 3080 cost the earth. I paid just over 800 for mine. The joys of PCs right.

Soldato
Dunno the case starting sparking the pcie slot melted and took the 3080 with - it i was using a corsair rm1000. Just gutted as 3080 cost the earth. I paid just over 800 for mine. The joys of PCs right.
That means likely:
  • Either card possibly failed drawing crazy amount of power from PCIe slot burning it.
    Nvidias already exceed 75W limit of power drawn from slot, so wouldn't need much of VRM problem for that to go off the charts.
  • Alternative is that motherboard's PCIe slot was somehow faulty with contacts eventually shorting.
And without current limited wire groups in very high power PSU, it wouldn't notice any shorts untill current exceeded 90A level.
Which is very hard to exceed, because resistance of PSU wiring and PCB traces from 24 pin connector to slot could keep current below that.

Card failing first should show as burnt components/damage on PCB around those etc signs.
Again if PCIe slot itself shorted, there shouldn't be damage in card outside slot contact.

Soldato
To what extent have you messed with it? Because if you've not messed with it much, your local fire brigade might be able to tell you which component failed first.

And just earlier today I checked my powder and CO2 fire extinguishers.

Soldato
That means likely:
  • Either card possibly failed drawing crazy amount of power from PCIe slot burning it.
    Nvidias already exceed 75W limit of power drawn from slot, so wouldn't need much of VRM problem for that to go off the charts.
  • Alternative is that motherboard's PCIe slot was somehow faulty with contacts eventually shorting.

Wonder if an unnoticed watercooling failure could cause one or more of those things and the case to start sparking. Bit of liquid in the PCIe slot that melted for example.

Soldato
Wonder if an unnoticed watercooling failure could cause one or more of those things and the case to start sparking. Bit of liquid in the PCIe slot that melted for example.
Definitely.
There was case here in forum IIRC in last year when leaking coolant caused shorts.
Many liquids, including water, simply don't mix well with elecricity.

Associate
OP
It was contained to just inside the case, there’s burns around the pci-e socket and obvious damage to the connector.
Glad it happened whilst there but just the board and graphics lost. Which is annoying and costly but better than what could have happened.

Thanks for the comments guess just unlucky.

Soldato
This is awful news. Thankfully some options have been posted up here for you to explore. Hopefully you can resolve it without being out of pocket.

I wonder if photos would help the experts try and diagnose?

Back
Top Bottom