PC keeps blue screening! Pls help

Associate
Hi,

A family member has been running into issues with their PC continously blue screening. It has started to become more and more frequent to the point that it happens within 30 seconds of turning the PC on. The SSD has been wiped a couple of times with everything including OS reinstalled, as well as having 2 brand new ram dimms installed, but still hasn't fixed the issues.

The errors that are popping up are as follows:
-kmode exception not handled
-page fault in nonpaged area
-system service exception
-irql not less or equal

Has anyone any ideas on a fix for this or whats my best course of action going forward? It has got to the stage where buying a new motherboard is my next choice but can't be certain that that would fix it.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Jordan.

Associate
Have you done anything to check if the RAM is OK like running memtest or equivalent outside of the OS (via bootable USB)?

Associate
OP
I did buy two brand 8gb dimms and put them in it and still having the same issues which led me to think the ram sticks themselves are ok. I also tried different ram slots on the mobo and still same issue.

Man of Honour
Has anyone any ideas on a fix for this or whats my best course of action going forward? It has got to the stage where buying a new motherboard is my next choice but can't be certain that that would fix it.
EXPO/XMP on or off?

Turbo on or off?

Ran memtest to test the memory?

Ran CPU test like Prime 95 to test CPU?

Temps are fine?

Have you scanned the SSD and checked the SMART data? There are some brands/models with known issues.

If PC has integrated graphics, remove the graphics card?

Are there any significant errors in the event viewer, particularly WHEA logger errors?

Are any of the devices used old, e.g. wireless dongle, mouse or keyboard that requires legacy software?

Associate
Doesn't rule out the potential that those sticks could also be problematic, though that would be incredibly unlucky I would still suggest some stress testing.

Do you have the full machine specs available? That looks like a mix of RAM and driver issues so could be drivers causing memory leaks once the other potential hardware issues (as per Tetras) have been bottomed out.

Associate
OP
EXPO/XMP on or off?

Turbo on or off?

Ran memtest to test the memory?

Ran CPU test like Prime 95 to test CPU?

Temps are fine?

Have you scanned the SSD and checked the SMART data? There are some brands/models with known issues.

If PC has integrated graphics, remove the graphics card?

Are there any significant errors in the event viewer, particularly WHEA logger errors?

Are any of the devices used old, e.g. wireless dongle, mouse or keyboard that requires legacy software?
What do you suggest for XMP on/off or Turbo on/off in the bios?
I will run memtest, Prime 95 and check the SSD to make sure they are all working fine. It has become hard to do anything on the PC as it bluescreens within the first minute of starting it up.
Doesn't rule out the potential that those sticks could also be problematic, though that would be incredibly unlucky I would still suggest some stress testing.

Do you have the full machine specs available? That looks like a mix of RAM and driver issues so could be drivers causing memory leaks once the other potential hardware issues (as per Tetras) have been bottomed out.
I will run memtest to check them just to be safe.
The full specs are: B450M, 3600, 16gb ddr4 3600mhz, GTX1660Super, 1tb samsung ssd and a 550w psu.

Thanks for the help lads

Man of Honour
It has become hard to do anything on the PC as it bluescreens within the first minute of starting it up.
Does it survive in the BIOS, or still resets?

What do you suggest for XMP on/off or Turbo on/off in the bios?
Not really much to suggest, just turn it on, or turn it off :D Also worth checking that when XMP/DOCP is enabled the sticks are running at the correct voltage, since some boards fail to set this correctly and that they're in the slots recommended by the manual. For troubleshooting reasons I'd prefer to keep it disabled and have the memory run at the base speed (likely to be between 2133 or 2666).

For Turbo, I believe AMD calls this functionality PBO & PB2. If you turn everything off it should only boost to 3.6 Ghz.

1tb samsung ssd
Which is this and when was it purchased? There are known issues for the 870 Evo, 980 Pro and 990 Pro.

a 550w psu.
What brand/model, just to check for known bad ones?

Associate
3600mhz on the ram is a bit of a push for a 3600 knock that way back. Assuming that's the speed ya trying to run it at? I'll suggest 3200 or 3198 for stability for testing and slowly up it. Oh wait it was happening before the new ram. I would check the SSD as suggested and temps possibly. CPU's do degrade over time too so knocking things back to default for testing (2133 on ram) sounds more the order here as suggested above.

Last edited:
Associate
First thing I would download WinDbg from the windows store and install it or use bluescreenview portable version. This will help you find out which files are triggering those BSODs.
Next I would also check event viewer for any volmgr or volsnap errors this can indicate HDD/SSD failure
Ensure BIOS is latest and remove any overclocks including XMP in the BIOS
If you have time run Memtest on the new DIMMs you installed and on the previous Mem that was in the machine
If the machine is as unstable as you describe in the OS then test in windows safe mode
I would also recommend sticking Ubuntu on a bootable USB drive and booting to a live environment to test the system

Last edited:
Associate
Note that for WinDbg to be of benefit you must ensure that your OS is configured to save a memory dump.
Whilst memory errors are the likely reason, a CPU defect could also be causing the problems.

sg0

sg0

Associate
Maybe take a look at the hardware device manager list. See if you have any problem hardware. I think there are options at the top to reveal hardware with issues/disabled etc.

Associate
Hi,

A family member has been running into issues with their PC continously blue screening. It has started to become more and more frequent to the point that it happens within 30 seconds of turning the PC on. The SSD has been wiped a couple of times with everything including OS reinstalled, as well as having 2 brand new ram dimms installed, but still hasn't fixed the issues.

The errors that are popping up are as follows:
-kmode exception not handled
-page fault in nonpaged area
-system service exception
-irql not less or equal

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Jordan.
I had Irql not less or equal a long time ago. Is it an older system?
Page fault is clearly HDD based.

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
Yeah I think I remember it was a bios issue. Reset your bios back to default. Pull the battery if you need to. (Just saw it's not an old system,I blame the drink!)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd bet on something overheating. Most likely CPU or GPU. It's a big culprit with these unexplained BSODs.

With disk and memory issues you usually see other symptoms first like things just freezing randomly. If it's a disk you'll see warnings in event viewer usually, which is the first sign of it dying.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom