Pc keeps shutting down , help needed

Associate
Hi guys ,

i have been having some serious issues with my PC today. My pc screen froze today and i had to switch the power off after 5 mins of a frozen screen. Now when i turn my pc on , it shuts itself down after about 30 secs. I have tried disconnecting the graphics card/ram/dvd drive/wireless network card and turning on but the same issue happens. i have very little Pc tech knowledge but the only thing i can think can be the problem is a faulty PSU.
the same problem happened 10 days ago but after 24 hrs of being turned off , i turned it on and it seemed to be fine until the problem came back today

Hopefully someone can help with other tests to determine the fault.

pc specs

amd phenom x2 555 black edition
ATI radeon hd 5750 1gb
4gb ram
cwt 450w psu
Coolit cooling system
750gb western digital HDD
foxconn motherboard ( not sure the model , the only details i can see on the board is a7gmx series a7vmx series Am2+)

Permabanned
Have you tried a clear CMOS yet?
There may be a button or jumper on your mobo, consult your manual, alternatively remove the battry from the board for 5 mins then replace and restart, see if that helps

Associate
OP
I checked the fans earlier and as far as I am aware they were working as they.should , my CPU is cooled with a coolit systems Liquid cooler , I am not sure how to check if that's working

Permabanned
If its only just getting to windows then shutting down, its unlikely to be overheating, without some serious issue (i.e. completely missing fan, a heatsink should be enough to allow boot to desktop) I'd suggest a fresh install of windows, one of drivers may of become corrupt, though if possible you could try booting into safe mode first, see if that gives you anything different? (i.e. not crashing after 30 secs)

Associate
It does sound like your PSU, taking 5 mins to overheat when you first turn it on then then it's overheating much quicker when it's left off for a lesser time. I've seen this a few times thats why I mentioned the PSU fan.

Good luck.

Associate
OP
ok so i just had a look and the Psu fan is working, the fan on top of my case and the liquid cooler back fan is working , but the shutting down problem is still present.

Last edited:
Associate
If i had to guess, this sounds like a software issue rather than a hardware one. If you can, try attempt a virus/spyware/malware scan, but with only 5 mins this could be a problem. I feel a clean windows install is probably your best option.

Associate
err.. actually i just looked at ur original post. a 450w PSU ? you have probably stressed that thing to a slow death. Even although it starts alright, when it needs to output a decent amount of juice its failing. Id take it out and smell it. Go for a 600w minimum if u replace it

Associate
OP
i shall purchase a new PSU as i was going to get one as i was planning to get a radeon HD 6950 iceQ card .

UPDATE !!!

before i purchase a new PSU , i have a friend who just who just bought a new PSU , so he is going to lend me his previous 500w supply

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just to give another update , i completely stripped my pc down to its bare bones , disconnected every cable , cleaned every fan and removed cpu thermal paste and re-applied with a silver thermal compound . I reconnected everything and so far my pc is running fine :)

note , i am using my original psu to which i thought was the problem

fingers crossed that that is the end to my problems and thank you to all that gave advice

Back
Top Bottom