Pc monitor vs Apple display, how does they fair?

Soldato
i don't know what effect this would have for my Xbox, but tomorrow i should be picking up an old PowerPC G4 with a apple monitor, keyboard etc for £10, screen looks decent, not sure if there's display ports, but isn't a CRT style, however in general I was just curious how they fair with a pc monitor?

As I happen to have the 5770 version originally designed for the Mac Pro it has a dvi port which is what I use and 2 mini display ports so interesting to see if they work and what the quality like, but never hooked a mac screen up to a pc before.

V F

V F

Soldato
All I can say is I know my Apple Cinema display 23" aluminium frame is a lot better than the Dell 2405FPW. In both colour and response time. The gradient ramps are so much better on the Apple.

Lots of broken gradients near black on the Dell. Quite splotchy.

I was simply shocked at the input lag of the Dell 2405FPW.

Soldato
I'd say the opposite from you, V F. My 2405 was nigh-on perfect for colour once calibrated and still is to this day. And I'm not a serious gamer, whatever one of those is, but it worked fine for my needs.

Never got on with the Apple displays.

V F

V F

Soldato
I have mine calibrated as well but I don't know if it is due to the age of the screen and usage but near black is awful on mine. The blacks are severely elevated as the gamma measures from 1.8 to 2.4. There is also no gamma preset and the more you correct it through DisplayCal the worse the banding becomes.

You cannot adjust the black level in DVI either.

V F

V F

Soldato
But the 2405 came out around 12 years ago....

Yeah I know but I was comparing the display to another from the same time.

"It's the fastest PVA panel out there and at the moment the only one suitable for playing games IMO. I'd say that's pretty "new" seeing as all previous PVA panels had a lot of ghosting."

"A 12ms PVA panel is still slower then a 16ms S-IPS if you look at the response time charts close enough not to mention 12ms is not a really reliable spec."

Back
Top Bottom