PC not booting - Impending doom?

Associate
Hi guys,

Last night I turned my PC off and after 15 mins noticed the fans etc were still on. I got up and turned the monitor on and it was stuck on "Shutting Down". I turned it off at the wall. This morning I went to boot it up and my case lights lit up and the fans were spinning but on a low RPM. There was no signal responce to my monitor either. After trying 4-5 times it eventually came on all of a sudden and seems fine now.

Could this be a one off or is it a sign something is on its last legs? The PC is only ~2 years old however. It is very dusty inside and needs a good clean up. Could the dust be interfering with commands to each component or something?

Thanks.

Permabanned
I had a similar problem the other day. The computer turned on, I had no signal on the screen and it turned off again about 10 seconds later.

So I cleaned out the dust and did the whole cmos reset thing by taking out the battery, and it worked fine after that.

I read somewhere ages ago that dust can make your computer overheat and/or play up a bit, so I think it probably is a good idea to clean out your PC, taking care not to damage any components, ofc. :)

Associate
I get the shutdown problem every now and then, it just sits there saying shutting down and I have to turn it off via the power button. My machine is fairly new though, never have problems booting so I just put it down to a windows 'thing'.

Soldato
A good clean out is a good idea.
But, check your event logs and see what was recorded at the time it was shutting down.
Post back with details or screen shot.

Associate
i would defo clean it out dust can cause a lot of problems with overheating. if that doesnt sort it i would try a different psu i worked n a system the other week where it would power the fans but it wouldnt boot anything else so your board might not be getting enough power

Back
Top Bottom