PC not booting when new DDR3 modules installed

PC running Win 10, M/b is Gigabyte GA-68AP-D3 with most up to date Bios available. It had 3 x 2Gb 1333 DIMMS. Previously had 4 dimms but after numerous memory issues one DIMM was found to have a damaged pin, and I think the socket may also be suspect .

Decided to replace the memory with 2 x 8Gb DDR3 1866 Dimms which are compatible with the M/b. However, PC will not boot. The CPU and case fans spin up for a few seconds and then it stops. It continues to cycle thru this again an again without ever booting. If I add one of the older 2 1333 DIMMS ie 18Gb in all, the PC boots detecting the three modules, but running at 1333 MHz. Remove the 2Gb DIMM and it wont boot with only the 2 x 8Gb DIMMS. I am not using the suspect socket.

I thought maybe the M/b was not recognising the 1866 MHz DIMMS, but the BIOS settings are set to auto and it should detect anything up to 2133.

Andrew

Associate
Sounds like it doesnt like the timings on the new ram but once you put the old stick in its defaulting to the slowest sticks timings. You tried setting xmp with the 2gb stick in then removing it, or manually set timings/voltage the same as the slow stick then remove.

Either way sounds like the ram is good you just need to figure out a work around.

Associate
OP
Yep. Looks like its a timing issue. Tried changing the speed setting in the BIOS from AUTO to 1866 for the new DIMMs, but still does not boot with just the new 1866 DIMMs in place. Can't even get to the BIOS screen. Putting the old 1333 DIMM in just causes an O/C failure. So ended up reverting the BIOS to Auto speed selection and running with the new DIMMs plus one of the old 1333 modules. Stumped to be honest, tho just noticed the new DIMMs are 1.5v but the old 1333 DIMM is 1.65v.

Back
Top Bottom