PC Not POST'ing

Associate
Hi All

I'm a bit stuck with this one :( I've built my new PC today (Q6600, P35C-DSR, 8800 GTX, Corsair 620w).

However, when I switch it on no image output is received on the monitor. I can hear the hard disk spin-up, the case fans and CPU fan both spin, the fan on the GTX is spinning too. There's just no image output, my monitor basically doesn't detect anything and then goes into power save.

Initially, I was getting a single (sonar-like) bleep emitted when I switched on. Then I basically unplugged all but one SATA hard disk, unplugged the optical and floppy drives, took out my sound-card etc and the bleep has gone. I've also just left a single 1gb stick of RAM in the mobo and taken the other 3 out.

So, I've basically got a mobo w/ q6600 + hsf, a 8800 gtx, 1 stick of RAM and 1 SATA hard disk plugged in and nothing else. There's no audible bleep, nothing, it doesn't reach the POST screen/BIOS.

Any ideas? I'm kinda at my last tether atm :(

Associate
OP
Vipernet said:
you got all the power connections on the gfx and mobo plugged in? eg- the extra p4 connector on the mobo?

Yeah, I believe so.

I've got the braided 24 pin plug and the 4 pin plug connected to the mobo. I've got 2 of the 6 pin pci-e connectors running from the PSU directly into the gfx.

Anything else I can try? If there was something wrong with the RAM or the CPU wouldn't I expect to be hearing bleeps?

Is there anything else that needs connecting with the gfx card apart from it being the in x16 pci-e slot, the 2 x 6 pin pci-e cables connected to the PSU? I've tried the monitors dvi cable on either of the gfx cards outputs as well.

Soldato
That sounds fine, only thing I can suggest it checking the cmos jumpers and then reset the cmos. If that fails then I'd been down to testing each component for faults. Have you got a spare gfx card etc to try out?

Associate
OP
Vipernet said:
That sounds fine, only thing I can suggest it checking the cmos jumpers and then reset the cmos. If that fails then I'd been down to testing each component for faults. Have you got a spare gfx card etc to try out?

Ok. I've managed to get a little bit further.

I tried testing the RAM sticks one by one and have managed to work out that 2 out of the 4 sticks of RAM won't allow the PC to POST. Therefore, I'm assuming they're dead.

I then thought - fantastic, I've worked out the cause. So I started by plugging all 3 SATA hard drives in, both the power and the data cables. Tried switching on the PC and it bleeps (like normal post) and things appear to be starting up but no image on screen.

I disconnected the 2 other hard disks (again both power and data cables) to put it back into the state it was in when it was POST'ing 10 mins earlier and it still doesn't appear to be working. But it was working in the exact same setup 10-15 mins previous!

The lights on the keyboard and mouse come on but then switch off again too.

Could it be a dodgy PSU?

Hmmmmm :(

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Actually, I take that back - I think I was being stupid.

Looks like maybe the DVI cable had come loose from the gfx card.

Still looks like I've got 2 dead sticks of RAM though.

I'll try putting everything back, bar those 2 sticks of RAM and see how I go.

/cross fingers

Back
Top Bottom