PC Only Reboots When I remove then replace the Motherboard Cmos Batter ?

Associate
Hello all, my PC has started to play up, basically it stopped booting, no life in it at all so I decided to purchase a New power supply to my disappointment it was still dead:confused:
Now I then removed all components and tried again, not result so I removed the cmos battery, shorted the contacts and replaced it, it then booted which was great:)
Worked for many hours until I decided to go to bed, the next morning it did not boot again so I decided to remove the motherboard battery once again, result it booted :)
Any ideas why this would have started happening ? I do not want to remove the cmos battery every time I want to use the PC :confused:
Could it simply be a dying or dead cmos batter ? I guess for the low price I should just go out and get one.
Thanks for any idea`s
Cheers
mrix

Associate
OP
Oh well, decided to get a new battery for the cmos but it never even booted today, all very strange:confused:
Normally I would put it down to a dead motherboard but for the fact it was running totally fine for many hours yesterday and I get the feeling it may start up at some point again :confused:
Any idea`s much appreciated.
Thanks
mrix

Associate
OP
It looked like a losing battle so I decided to earth the bios pins with the power switch on at the supply and the battery in, the machine booted up and is working fine:confused: I then switched off by using the main case switch and all shut down nicely, the next question was is it going to start again ? well yes it has, I tried 3 times and all is now fine, what`s the betting tomorrow it will stop again ????
We shall see, is it does I am at a total loss to what it may be ????
Cheers all
mrix

Associate
OP
I think the technical term you might be suffering from is a 'dicky motherboard'.
Certainly hope not but you could well be right, we shall see tomorrow morning, its been running great the past few hours.
Thanks guys
mrix

Soldato
Could be these. Of course it could be plenty of other things but I'd say it's one of those 3 out of likelihood first.

Motherboard, case switch, bad PSU.

Back
Top Bottom