PC-Q11 Build: "Fanboy Folly"

A final update. ;)

BSOD's here, BSOD'S there, BSOD's every ******* where...

The two weeks or so leading up to Christmas were plagued by BSOD's, immensely frustrating BSOD's at that. Despite owning and building PC's for donkey's years I've had virtually no experience of faulty hardware (guess I'm lucky). This makes diagnosing both meaningless and always different blue screen messages rather tricky! Was it memory, was it CPU or was it the motherboard? I was praying it was anything but my precious motherboard. :D

In the end it was none of the above...

One problem was nailed with disabling the inbuilt wireless network card. The problems had begun shortly after enabling it and at least one problem was then solved. It's a shame, because it was a unique and tidy way of doing things, but the drivers appear to be plain iffy.

The next problem was purely GFX related. :mad: My ATI driver started crashing every time any load was placed on the card and then the dreaded artefacts began appearing in 3D mark (at least when it wasn't freezing up). I now face the joys of RMAing. I'd only bought the XFX card because of the short length of the PCB and I was a trifle suspicious of the low price, but what could I do? Manufacturers give us all the crazy big numbers of what a card can do, but don't seem keen on telling us the boring things, like say how long their card is. :(

Things had reached a bit of low at this point. I was in need of some Christmas cheer.

Tis the season to be jolly...

During the initial "planning" of the build my CPU choice was limited by the MiniX's TDP. 95w was upper limit, which ruled out the sexy quad and hexacore Phenom's and so left me using my old 720BE. This CPU was great and has served me well, but I wanted this system to be as good as possible, but what could I do?

Then while browsing eBay I found a seller who had some of these going. The Holy Grail!

I was giggling like a girl when I hit the buy it now button. :o A 95w 2.8GHz X6! It wasn't exactly cheap, but at least I didn't have to buy a motherboard too.

Then just after Boxing Day I went completely mad and bought one of these to replace the cheap and nasty XFX.

Much to my considerable annoyance, the card was precisely the same length as the XFX (21.5cm). Had I have known this I could have saved myself so much trouble and stress. Anyway, at least I now have a card by a manufacturer I've used many times before, and trust. The Sapphire 6850 is very quiet and has a nicer feel to it than the XFX. I'm not happy with Ruby's apparent change in hair colour though. I like my redheads. Brown is just so meh... :D

One last screen to show a rather mediocre 3D mark score of 3341 and my WEI score. My SSD's can't make their mind up. They were at 7.7 a few days ago, but now we're back at 5.9. This doesn't matter though as they still go like the clappers in general use.

The CPU idles at 27'c and after a thrashing in DoW 2 - Chaos Rising 49'c, which given the cramped nature of the case and less than ideal air flow, isn't too bad. It's a shame I'm not in to overclocking any more...

Anyway that should be that. No blue screens any more, everything appears stable and well behaved. So apart from a new CPU cooler, replacement SSD's or a new GFX card, say if the 6900 series shrink in size at some point in the future... there's not much else I can do to with this rig. None of these upgrades are urgent though, or even medium term considerations.

My bank balance will be happy about that. :D

Awesome set up dude, good to see good graphics card can fit in these small itx cases!

I recently bought the PC-Q11 also after having converted from ATX to ITX... one thing though. Does the main power button on the PC-Q11 light up? Reason being is, the connector from the case has a different pin configuration to what my motherboard has, and unfortunately I'm not able to get it to light up (if it even does at all)! Ta :)

Had my 95W X6 1055T for well over a month as well as MINIX 890GX but not had time to build, which cooler did you go for, I still think I can fit a H50 in there with Noctua 140MM FAN, also what temps are you getting?

Awesome set up dude, good to see good graphics card can fit in these small itx cases!

I recently bought the PC-Q11 also after having converted from ATX to ITX... one thing though. Does the main power button on the PC-Q11 light up? Reason being is, the connector from the case has a different pin configuration to what my motherboard has, and unfortunately I'm not able to get it to light up (if it even does at all)! Ta :)

I have the same problem!
Anybody got any ideas?

Your mobo has 2 pin power led connector either next to eachother or seperation by one pin, if the case has a 2 pin or 3 pin connector simply cut them in half and attach each of the two pins to the appropriate pin on mobo, the white is always the - even if it says +

Hi, great write up. Only problem is now you have put me off asking the question I want to ask :)

I bought a OC bundle recently:
"Titan Razor" Intel Core i3 540 3.06GHz @ 3.60GHz DDR3 System

Its in the same Lian Li cas as yours...

I wanted the small case as its a second machine on the desk and there is no more room.

I was concerned with the possible noise and heat situation, and I was right. Its too noisey and seems to be running too hot.

Anyone got advice on what I should do? Will OC support help me/talk me through installing a better\quieter colling solutions? Im a Noob, but willing to have a go...or should say I was willing until I read this write up :cool:

Cheers, appreciate any help.

Kadi

Fans make the noise.

Is it the stock fan on the heatsink? If so you need to buy an after market cooler that is low profile. Frostytech have good reviews. You can get one that is both low profile and good at cooling too.

Is the PSU modular by any chance? Modular is good as you can choose which cable to use, thus freeing up space which in turn makes for good ventilation. Also, look at getting a quiet modular PSU. Silentpcreview have some good ones on there that have been tested.

Last edited:
Just built my own mini itx first time for my grans pc replacement. Went for the Q07 and must echo your comments as it has the same build. How silly is trying to get the first tiny little screw in while lining up the motherboard with the io shield trying not to scratch it very frustrating :p

They are lovely little cases just wish the Q07 had some space for a fan. Your build looks fantastic. I went with a Zotac Atom board all passive. Its such an awesome little package im thinking of building my own little itx performance rig.

Asus Mini MAX
AMD 1055T 95W @ 3.08 GHZ
2 x 2GB 1066MHZ DDR 3
120GB Sandfoce SSD
2 x 500GB WD Scorpio Black in RAID 0
Nvidia GTX 560Ti
LG Bluray/DVD Writer
Lian-Li Q11B
Corsair H50 + Noctua 140MM
Silverstone ST45SF

Anyone got advice on what I should do? Will OC support help me/talk me through installing a better\quieter colling solutions? Im a Noob, but willing to have a go...or should say I was willing until I read this write up :cool:

OC and many other shops will build your system quick, your limited on the cpu cooler and due to time constraints its just easy for them to put in a bog standard stock cooler which fits...

You can replace Cooler with corsair H50 and fan with Noctua 140mm @ 7.5V... will be quieter, but installing cooler in cramped position is not easy

Busy thread in my absence. My apologies for not nosing around the SFF forum. :D

I'll just add a few ramblings that might shed some info on life with the 'Fanboy Folly'.

Noise is always going to be a problem, especially when shoving loads of heavy duty hardware in very small spaces. In my Q11 there are three fans. A stock AMD CPU fan running on silent mode, a fan on the Sapphire 6850, which is extremely well behaved I might add, and a PSU fan. I simply had no space for any others. I would have used a better cpu cooling setup, but the mobo's tall heatsinks refused to play nice. :(

There's no overclocking going on in this system, but when running games it still runs hot (by modern standards), but not terribly loud, in my opinion. While gaming at 1920x1200 GFX will bumble around the high 60's and the CPU can get as high as 54'c. It all depends on the ambient temperature of course, especially with my lack of big fans. When I'm just using the web, (which is most of the time) then the CPU stays in the mid 20's.

As for the cost of the build, it's not called a Folly for nothing! Though White Elephant might have been a sharper name for it. :D And would I do it again? No. Well not with the current generation of AMD hardware available!

Asus Mini MAX
AMD 1055T 95W @ 3.08 GHZ
2 x 2GB 1066MHZ DDR 3
120GB Sandfoce SSD
2 x 500GB WD Scorpio Black in RAID 0
Nvidia GTX 560Ti
LG Bluray/DVD Writer
Lian-Li Q11B
Corsair H50 + Noctua 140MM
Silverstone ST45SF

Fierce! :cool:

I would have gone down the Asus route too, as I do like their boards, but I 'needed' Sata 3. With that 560ti she must go like the clappers!

Last edited:
My minix mobo did not work, so asus was the only other option, still waiting to get a refund for the minix, the 560ti is a slower version of the gtx570 but a lot shorter!

Back
Top Bottom