I have an old i7-3770k overclocked to 4.4Ghz with an Arctic Freezer 12 cooler
4 x 4 = 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
Gigabyte Z77-D3H mainboard
2 sata SSD drives
1 sata hard drive
1 sata DVDRW
3 x 140mm case fans
CX750M power supply

I recently swapped my 1060 6gb for a EVGA 2070 XC Gaming card, and since then I have experienced random power resets, CPU temps are ok, I went into afterburner and reduced the card max power to 80% and appear to have fixed the issue, does this mean my Corsair CX750M which should be more than "adequate" is failing and due replacement, before it dies and takes all with it.

I intend to update my CPU MB RAM etc to something newer, that probably wont be this year, but my understanding is newer CPU generations use less power than the older generations they replace.

I really need some help, what do I need to buy, online power calculators say I only need 550-590W so would a 650W PSU be enough or should I buy another 750W, if so I would like something more efficient, and quiet.

Recommendations please....

Associate
I have an old i7-3770k overclocked to 4.4Ghz with an Arctic Freezer 12 cooler
4 x 4 = 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
Gigabyte Z77-D3H mainboard
2 sata SSD drives
1 sata hard drive
1 sata DVDRW
3 x 140mm case fans
CX750M power supply

I recently swapped my 1060 6gb for a EVGA 2070 XC Gaming card, and since then I have experienced random power resets, CPU temps are ok, I went into afterburner and reduced the card max power to 80% and appear to have fixed the issue, does this mean my Corsair CX750M which should be more than "adequate" is failing and due replacement, before it dies and takes all with it.

I intend to update my CPU MB RAM etc to something newer, that probably wont be this year, but my understanding is newer CPU generations use less power than the older generations they replace.

I really need some help, what do I need to buy, online power calculators say I only need 550-590W so would a 650W PSU be enough or should I buy another 750W, if so I would like something more efficient, and quiet.

Recommendations please....

Hi reading around the net that psu seems to come with some issues like getting too toasty and shutting down so could well be your answer?

Many on here seem to be squealing loudly about the Seasonic focus gold/platinums or the Antec which they say is around the same thing.
Ive just got the 850w Ultra prime titanium and the Focus plus Platinum 750w seem ok apart from the liquorish shoe lace cables that seem short if have a decent case.

Soldato
A quality 450W PSU can run that setup. But get a little more, 550 or 650. Antec HCG Gold are currently on special offer and as @area51 was getting at: they are based on the Seasonic Focus Plus platform and are built by Seasonic. Some reviews found the fan to be on the quiet side.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £250.19 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

Included the 750 and 850 because even though unnecessary they are terrific value for money just now.

Associate
OP
Just a follow up - I bought a Seasonic Focus plus platinum 750w and since installing it I have had no more shut down issues. So with a 10 year warranty I should be good for the foreseeable. Thanks for the suggestions.

Associate
Be careful with Focus PSU.

Seasonic Issues Warning: FOCUS PLUS PSU has GPUCompatibility Issues. Here's something you do not see that often, Seasonic confirmed that their FOCUS PLUS power supplies can have issues with certain graphics cards resulting in black screens under GPU stress, theissue seems related to high ripple under GPU load.

Man of Honour
As Seasonic replaced/will replace any Focus Plus suffering from this issue and that they state it only affects psu's built before January 2018 you can safely say that they know what caused it and have fixed it so it doesn't happen again. An old, potential problem that has been resolved should not put people off buying what is one of the best psu's available.

Back
Top Bottom