PC Resetting without BSOD.

Associate
I'm having an issue where my PC is restarting without warning, as if the reset button was pressed. It happens at random intervals (Sometimes days between, sometimes many times a few minutes apart) and can happen when idle or under load.

Event log shows Kernel Power 41 (63) error and nothing else of interest (I have screenshots if this helps)

I'm not seeing a BSOD, and there is no minidump folder or memory.dmp.

Steps taken so far:

Replaced kettle lead to PSU and tried different wall sockets.

Cleaned out inside of PC and reseated components and cables.

Run Memtest64 without error.

Drivers are all up to date.

I'm not sure what to do next. I'm assuming there is a BSOD error happening but without seeing the BSOD and getting the error message or having the system create a memory dump on failure I can't contact Microsoft support or do anything further.

Should I disable auto-restart on system failure? I've heard this could be risky if there is a hardware error.

Specs

i7-4790k 16GB RAM GTX980 EGVA 850W Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK

No overclocking. Put this system together 3 or so years ago and no issues up until now.

Soldato
It's probably not a BSOD. Kernel Power 41 indicates that the machine restarted unexpectedly, it's usually a power issue if there's not STOP code listed. I'd start looking at the PSU...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
How would I find a STOP code if there was one?

I have a spare Zalman 750w 80+ knocking around. It's Pushing 10 years old though, reckon that's safe to try with if necessary?

Associate
I had these exact symptons with my Asus motherboard, so did a lot
of people on the Asus forums.

3 months later, Asus released an updated bios, and the problem went away.

Make sure your on the latest bios for your motherboard.

That spare PSU you have will be fine for testing purposes, if it eliminates the problem, then
I would personally invest in a new PSU.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Make sure your on the latest bios for your motherboard.

I considered updating my BIOS but got cold feet, as the resets seemed totally random and I'm pretty scared about it cutting out whilst flashing and bricking the whole thing.

Something else though, and I know it probably sounds barking, but this issue only happens between 2am Friday and 2am Saturday, and has done for a month now. If I don't get any errors between now and next Friday, and then it suddenly happens again, I'm going to see if I can get someone to check my mains. Also means I'll know it's reasonably safe to update my BIOS midweek.

Associate
OP
Just so you're aware, Windows can be configured to not give a Blue Screen and just reboot. Might be worth checking the configuration so you are getting the blue screen and then use BSOD viewer to read the dump file.

Yeah I saw that option but I was concerned, as some things I read suggested that if there was a hardware error and the machine didn't immediately power off something could brick. Although since then I found the Microsoft article on making sure that BSOD's dumped correctly and they suggest that option, so I assume it must be fairly safe.

Soldato
I have a spare Zalman 750w 80+ knocking around. It's Pushing 10 years old though, reckon that's safe to try with if necessary?
Those had all cheap capacitors in rather bad design for cooling.
So while it might maybe show different behaviour it might just result jumping ouf of frying pan to the fire, or "from the ditch to the duck pond" like we say here in Finland.

You might also want to check with these programs:
http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Associate
Had this exact issue recently on a PC that has been running nearly 24/7 for 5.5 years. Assumed something was about to die but turned out to be rather benign.

I noticed the 3.3v was reading low and out of spec (3.1v). Apparently the PSU motherboard connectors can go bad over time. Low and behold, a good press and wiggle got me back to 3.34v with no more reboots. I've since replaced the cable to prevent it happening again.

Associate
OP
I think it's fixed. Looks like my storage HD drive is failing and that was kicking up a fuss. Pulled it out and no issues so far with everything else the same.

Associate
OP
Ah, it was the PSU after all. It seemed to be fine after removing the old harddrive, but the PSU kindly let me know it was at fault this morning when it woke me up making a sound like an angle grinder.

Soldato
Been having the same issue, glad I found this thread. Should get my replacement PSU tomorrow to find out if that is the issue.

If your in the market

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £398.51 (includes shipping: £12.60)​

Sales on here change every Wednesday afternoon so one might pop on sale :)

Back
Top Bottom