Pc restarting when a USB device is plugged in

Associate
When I plug in a USB device such as a Scanner, Printer, or external USB HDD drive, I hear distortion sound on my speakers and a very microscopic discharge on my USB port. This does not happen with iphone, USB memory stick, PC gaming controller. It only happens with heavy stuff like Printer and external USB HDD drive.

What could be causing this?

This is my pc spec

CPU: AMD Phenom™II X6 1090T 3.2Ghz
Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L/USB3
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD6770 1GB
Memory: Kingston (2X4GB) 8GB DDR3
HDD: Segate 500GB
PSU: Crosair CX600

Soldato
If this is the front USB on the case, what case do you have? I had this happening with my HAF 932 only to discover all the front IO panel ports was shortting itself against the case...

Associate
OP
Ok, this is what I did. I changed my PSU to my old one, which is SeaSonic 330 Watts, and changed my Graphics Card, since the one I use in 6770 which needs much higher power supply. I changed it to ATI 4650, a low end graphics card. It worked fine.

I changed the PSU to the Crosair CX600, which I thought is faulty, and I used ATI 4650. It worked fine when I plugged in my USB HDD drive.

When I changed my Graphics Card to 6770, which draws more power, my pc restars when a USB HHD drive is plugged in.

Im confused

Associate
OP
Ok, so I took my motherboard, psu, graphics card, etc out of the case and tried it that way. When i plugged in my HDD it didn't restart my pc

So im guessing its my case at fault

this is what I meant

DSCF2835.jpg

Soldato
Good job at doing your own troubleshooting. Much better than most apes who post on here.

Simply refitting your motherboard often solves this. Pay particular attention to motherboard standoffs (screws), the backplate, PCI/E cards touching each other and strange parts of the case.

Caporegime
Good job at doing your own troubleshooting. Much better than most apes who post on here.

Simply refitting your motherboard often solves this. Pay particular attention to motherboard standoffs (screws), the backplate, PCI/E cards touching each other and strange parts of the case.

It's good to see that you hold the members of this forum in such high esteem.

Hopefully one day it won't be you needing any help.

Associate
OP
Ok, turns out it was my pc case. I'm using my brothers cause and it has no problems. When I use my one, it restarts my pc.

Thanks for the help, guys. It was my pc case. I ordered a new cause of ******

Back
Top Bottom