PC running "Perfect", prime stable, random BSODs??

Soldato
I've done memtests which are perfectly fine, Prime95 is fine,

but every so often (I'd say a few times a week) I get BSOD, and its nearly ALWAYS one of the following:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL

or:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

would anyone know what this normally means? Is a memory error? I/O problems?
hard drive error?

I've googled them both dozens of times but pretty much all the results consist of forums of people saying they get this every time they do <x>, which does not help me in the slightest.

Permabanned
I was having the same problem a few weeks ago with my office pc. It ran prime95 and memtest and it was stable aswell.
A format and new windows install fixed it.

Soldato
OP
lee87 said:
I was having the same problem a few weeks with my office pc. It ran prime95 and memtest and it was stable aswell.
A format and new windows install fixed it.
well see this pretty much IS a fresh windows install :(

Soldato
how long prime stable are we talking? i've had it fall over after 17 hours.... some people only test for 8 or even less.

also try snm (3.5 hours or so to complete the hardest test) and occt. much better than waiting days for prime.... :p

Soldato
OP
marc2003 said:
how long prime stable are we talking? i've had it fall over after 17 hours.... some people only test for 8 or even less.

also try snm (3.5 hours or so to complete the hardest test) and occt. much better than waiting days for prime.... :p
I always choose the smallest Torture test (Small FFTs), and I usually leave it on for like 4-5 hours until I say thats enough its stable :p

Associate
You dont happen to be using Nvidia Firewall do you?

I had random BSOD's on my pc and as soon as I got rid of this, Hey presto the BSOD stopped..Must have been conflicting with something else

Associate
Hi, also if it is a nvidia chipset, then as well as above poster said,as the nvide Firewall is a known trouble maker for BSOD's try removing the nvidia IDE drivers and let windows install it's own, as some drives, both HD and Opticals can have BSOD's with the drivers.

Anthony

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies guys :)

Indeed i have an nF4 motherboard, the DFI SLI-DR to be precise.

Haven't got nVidia Firewall installed. I detest any kind of software firewall as all they do is create unnecessary hassle (e.g. "Argh this software isnt working! oh yeah.." *creates custom firewall rule for software* .... x999) :p

Will try uninstalling these IDE drivers and will let you all know

Last edited:
Soldato
I have an nvidia firewall installed on mine and i find that if i start my pc with the firewall turned off it gives me a BSOD, then restarts, gives me another one, restarts and runs fine.

In all fairness it is a good firewall. Could do without the BSODs though!

Soldato
Hmmmm ive got exactly the same motherboard and lately WoW has been crashing with the same 2 errors. Ive just fully resinstalled and it crashed again! so i know its not any software ive added.

Im going to try removing the IDE drivers as has been suggested and see what happens.

Edit: Nope wqow just crashed again with a "memory cannot be "read" error.... bah im sick of this now.

And ive tested my memory for like 30hours straight the memory is NOT faulty. Ive even tried one stick at a time and same thing. Odd thing is wow had been working fine for 6 months before this started happening.

Last edited:
Associate
I had similar BSODs with my Epox NF4 mobo and discovered that my Corsair 3200TwinXLL Pro memory was the cause. I discovered this by underclocking the memory too 333Mhz. I solved the problem by replacing my Corsair memory with a 2Gb Patriot 3200 low latency kit.

Strangely, the Corsair memory caused no problems in the Intel system. If you haven't yet solved your random BSODs try lowering your memory to 333Mhz. I've come across other Nvidia mobo owners who've had similar problems with Corsair memory.

Hope this helps.

Soldato
OP
Mekrel said:
Sounds like RAM to me mate, Memtest certainly isn't the be all and end all of memory stability testing.

One stick at a time, and test with Prime
Testing now...

Its got a lot further so far than it has done before using the "Blend" mode torture test :D

I had no idea it was my RAM holding me back as memtest never showed any errors :o

guess its time to get new memory lol

Also, would anyone happen to know if there was some way I can slightly modify my BIOS to run my chipset fan at a lower speed and actually activate my CPU fan header (settings prevent it from even turning on unless my CPU is above 30°C)

I can control it all perfectly with ITE Smartguardian but it often fails to load at startup in windows, complaining "itevio.dll could not be found", but it works if i double click on its shortcut afterwards :confused:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom