pc shut down randomly

Associate
Hi all

As of late been getting some problems with my rig

Every now and again it will either turn off and say there's been a surge or just turn off

All random times and length of gaming times

I've ran dirt benchmark today to try and stress system abit for 2hours and it ran fine

System is water cooled temps are <40 GPU and <50 CPU PSU fan spins up so that's not overheating

I've checked all connections

System is running stock clocks

System is

980ti
16gb ram
SSD
Hero 7 mobo
Corsair ax860i psu

Where do you suggest I start digging?

Tia

Associate
OP
I haven't got one to try I'd have to buy one

It's the way I was leaning to be honest

As for a warranty I got it in a system that I bought but I think PSU is about 4-5 year old

Suspended
Had a similar issue recently which is similar to yours but may very well be different in cause.

Essentially, the computer would randomly "switch off". By this, I mean the power seemed to remain on (fans spinning) but monitors and mouse/keyboard would switch off. Other times, BSOD. It would require a reset and sometimes unplugging from wall to reset.

Tried Windows repair, which worked for an afternoon then the computer died in a big way. Couldn't even reinstall Windows. Took the PC apart (btw, about 4 months old Ryzen 5 1600 with a new Samsung 850 SSD and Superflower 550w Platinum King) and rebuilt after checking PSU, RAM, GPU etc. . I was then was able to do a new installation of Windows. Still don't know what the problem was so can only surmise a software issue in Windows 10 as the new installation cured it all.

You should look at buying a PSU tester if you cannot source a loan PSU as it is cheaper than a new PSU and reusable...useful in these situations.

Not sure if that helps but certainly a different avenue to pursue.

Associate
Might also be worth checking if someone else in your house isn't using a dodgy appliance at the same time this happens causing a surge. E.g. a toaster.

Back
Top Bottom