PC Shuts down during shader building on Last Of Us Part 1

Associate
OP
What way are the AIO fans oriented?

this is basically what my system setup the exact same way i have the black version of this case with a corsair Hydro H100x mounted at the top like you in this gif fan config is all the same

220T_RGB_AIRFLOW_ColorShift.gif

Associate
OP
are you on latest drrivers for gpu and chipset? and have you monitored whether you are using up all the ram space?

yep i always make it a rule to keep everything updated i got all the drivers from the MSI website i even got the latest updates for all of them Chipset , GPU , Audio etc. On the latest version of Windows 11 aswell fully up to date

Associate
OP
another question what does the CPU Cooler Tuning do? I notice mines set to Water Cooling which is 4096w but some people saying online you should set it to Air Tower Cooling which is 255w i dont know if this is necassary or not?

Associate
another question what does the CPU Cooler Tuning do? I notice mines set to Water Cooling which is 4096w but some people saying online you should set it to Air Tower Cooling which is 255w i dont know if this is necassary or not?

That just sets the power limit of the CPU. 4096w is "unlimited" and 250W is the official Intel spec. I would set it to Intel spec regardless.

Soldato
yep i always make it a rule to keep everything updated i got all the drivers from the MSI website i even got the latest updates for all of them Chipset , GPU , Audio etc. On the latest version of Windows 11 aswell fully up to date
okay, so have you tried setting all the graphics settings to low? before firing the game up, and you didn't answer if you are monitoring whether your RAM is filling up either. how much Vram does your GPU have?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Makes me wonder how 'stock' your CPU is.

Asus released a new BIOS that adds a setting aptly named 'Intel Baseline Profile,' which switches from the motherboard's default settings to the ones recommended by Intel. It is in response to a widespread crash and another instability issue with certain games using Unreal Engine 5, precisely when it initiates shaders during the loading screen. With this setting, those with Intel 13th and 14th-generation CPUs should have stable gameplay. Once other vendors do the same, they may permanently address the issue.

Associate
OP
That just sets the power limit of the CPU. 4096w is "unlimited" and 250W is the official Intel spec. I would set it to Intel spec regardless.

when i set it to Air Cooler Tower Mode 288w when i load into windows it starts acting weird like its unstable especially when i ran Cinebench screen was starting to flicker it went back to normal when i set it back to default Water Cooling mode

Edit i set it to Air Cooler Tower Mode 288w and put the Load Line Calibration to 4 that seemed to fix that problem.

Last edited:
Associate
when i set it to Air Cooler Tower Mode 288w when i load into windows it starts acting weird like its unstable especially when i ran Cinebench screen was starting to flicker it went back to normal when i set it back to default Water Cooling mode

Edit i set it to Air Cooler Tower Mode 288w and put the Load Line Calibration to 4 that seemed to fix that problem.
What's the max power draw (cpu package power in hwinfo) you're hitting in typical usage/gaming? Would also give updating your BIOS a go, as that is really odd behaviour.

Soldato
Makes me wonder how 'stock' your CPU is.

Interesting. It happens I have two B760 motherboards and have downloaded that BIOS after I saw your post. I have never seen any instability, these are not gaming PC's, but I do like the idea of running the intel baseline.

Associate
OP
Interesting. It happens I have two B760 motherboards and have downloaded that BIOS after I saw your post. I have never seen any instability, these are not gaming PC's, but I do like the idea of running the intel baseline.

Yeah i heard about that being an issue for intel 13th and 14th gen the truth is motherboard manufactuers have been setting their own "optimized" defaults for years since back in 7th gen they basically shove as much as much voltage and power down its throat and call it a day. i was also curious if my 10th Gen 10900k was affected but i dont that problem applies to 10th gen i personally believe my issue is just an overheating problem happening in my case. Because Last Of Us Shader Building uses Oodle decrompression which is very heavy on the CPU a bit more than a typical Cinebench workload

Soldato
Yeah i heard about that being an issue for intel 13th and 14th gen the truth is motherboard manufactuers have been setting their own "optimized" defaults for years since back in 7th gen they basically shove as much as much voltage and power down its throat and call it a day. i was also curious if my 10th Gen 10900k was affected but i dont that problem applies to 10th gen i personally believe my issue is just an overheating problem happening in my case. Because Last Of Us Shader Building uses Oodle decrompression which is very heavy on the CPU a bit more than a typical Cinebench workload

Yes, I had noticed that for some years, that the manufacturers pay little regard to intel recommendations. Usually, it's a case of having to use intel software to "tweak" the settings back, which I normally can't be bothered to do. Even finding the settings tends to be laborious.

Back
Top Bottom