Associate
So I built my system about 6 months ago and since then, it has been randomly shutting down and restarting about once a week. When I say shut down, think of if you just pulled the plug out of the wall - completely black screen and then reboot. This happens only at idle or when browsing the web/opening programs, I have never had it happen while gaming.
I have tried three different power supplies. I have re-installed windows, updated my bios and a heap of other things to try to fix this. I've also run memtest86+ overnight twice with no errors and have not had any BSOD with this system. Any advice is appreciated.
Specs:
PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ GOLD
CPU: i9 10900k @4.9GHz All Core
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance @3900MHz
GPU: RTX 2080ti EVGA FTW3 Ultra
Motherboard: MSI MAG Tomahawk Z490
Storage: 1 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 500GB HDD, 2 x 500GB SATA SSD, 1 x 500GB M.2

Associate
OP
Any errors showing up in event viewer around the kernel power critical?
Event viewer shows a critical error 41 - Kernel Power but there is no crash dump, it's just the typical error you would get if you pulled the plug out of the wall and Windows doesn't have enough time to write a dump.

Soldato
Event viewer shows a critical error 41 - Kernel Power but there is no crash dump, it's just the typical error you would get if you pulled the plug out of the wall and Windows doesn't have enough time to write a dump.
Is there any other non critical errors around the time that you get the error 41?

Associate
OP
Are you using any ATX power extension cables?
Nope, using two separate PCIe cables straight from PSU to GPU. I was previously using one cable from PSU with 2 x 8 pin PCIe daisy chained, switched to two separate cables thinking it could solve the problem but no such luck. No extensions on any other cables either.

Associate
OP
Have you tried without overclocking?
Well the 10900K has an all-core boost of 4.9GHz anyway so I don't know if it's really even an overclock. Besides, surely a bad OC would give me a BSOD rather than just a complete shutdown and reboot? I may try setting it complete stock settings but so far I've been stable in every single stress test out there and never had a BSOD, just random shutdowns when at idle or opening a program.

Back
Top Bottom