PC Shuts down while playing BF3 Beta looking for some advice pls

Soldato
It is very helpful to now know what my basic problem is, as Marine-RX179 (Thanks for your continued help and support mate, appreciate it) said, it was a bad oversight on my part not to notice there had been more info added to a previous post i had made, in my defense last I looked it had slipped down a few pages and I assumed was a dead topic. Not very clever on my part, sorry. My forum skills are a little rusty.
A tip for your future reference...you can find your own post by clicking your username (Abacas) next to welcome around top right, then on the info page click statistic, and then under the statistic tab there is two links:
Find all posts by Abacas
Find all threads started by Abacas

Hope this helps.

Associate
OP
A tip for your future reference...you can find your own post by clicking your username (Abacas) next to welcome around top right, then on the info page click statistic, and then under the statistic tab there is two links:
Find all posts by Abacas
Find all threads started by Abacas

Hope this helps.

Noted mate, thank you, been so long since I last posted on here I had to create a new account.....well tbh that was more to do with me forgetting the details :rolleyes: Seems there are a fair few more choices for PSU's than when I last bought one:eek:...eenie...meanie....

Associate
OP
Probably need a new PSU...

Just to be sure though, did you do a clean install of Windows with your new GPU Drivers. It's not necessary, but is certainly highly recommended...

kd

Afraid i didn't do that, I have a lot of bits n bobs on my machine so having to completely reinstall (and tbh find) everything again is usually a last resort, but thanks for the suggestion mate, i really should keep a more streamlined setup.:)

On the subject of PSU, had a look about and wondered if this would be the kinda of thing I am looking for, and if so would it be powerful enough for future upgrades (eg adding another graphics card, upgrading my mobo cpu etc)? I notice they do a 750w version, so that is obviously another possibility?

Caporegime
You don't need to do a complete reinstallation of Windows just because you changed the GPU.

As long as you fully uninstalled the Nvidia drivers before installing the new card and the AMD drivers then that's fine.

The PSU you linked to will be fine and should also be enough if you wanted to add another HD 6950 down the line.

Soldato
On the subject of PSU, had a look about and wondered if this would be the kinda of thing I am looking for, and if so would it be powerful enough for future upgrades (eg adding another graphics card, upgrading my mobo cpu etc)? I notice they do a 750w version, so that is obviously another possibility?
If you want to power a system with crossfire 6950, you should get at least a decent 750W...would be even better if getting a 850W to it will provide more headrooms, even with the graphic cards AND the CPU overclocked without stressing the PSU close to the max. PSU efficiency would decrease when it get closer to 100% load (meaning it will suck more take more power off the wall socket), and the fan in the PSU will spin faster and become louder due to the extra heat.

If I were in your position, I'd get this the XFX Pro 850W Core Edition:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-005-XF&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1497

Got a good review at jonnyguru here:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=217

Granted it is not modular (with removable cables), but for decent 850W that are modular, most are priced at around £120 ish, which cost £20-£40 extra. And if you search around, you can even find XFX Pro 850W Core for under £80.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If you want to power a system with crossfire 6950, you should get at least a decent 750W...would be even better if getting a 850W to it will provide more headrooms, even with the graphic cards AND the CPU overclocked without stressing the PSU close to the max. PSU efficiency would decrease when it get closer to 100% load (meaning it will suck more take more power off the wall socket), and the fan in the PSU will spin faster and become louder due to the extra heat.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-005-XF&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1497

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=217

Granted it is not modular (with removable cables), but for decent 850W that are modular, most are priced at around £120 ish, which cost £20-£40 extra. And if you search around, you can even find XFX Pro 850W Core for under £80.

i7-965 overclocked to 3.75GHz with Crossfired HD 6950's 473W. See here.

That's 473W at the mains so even if the PSU was 90% efficient it's only outputting 426W.

750W or 850W is nice but not necessary.

Soldato
i7-965 overclocked to 3.75GHz with Crossfired HD 6950's 473W. See here.

That's 473W at the mains so even if the PSU was 90% efficient it's only outputting 426W.

750W or 850W is nice but not necessary.
I don't really trust guru3D's power consumption info since they are always lower than majority of the other reviewers if I remember correctly. Also, that's just power consumption for Crossfired 6950 at stock speed...power consumption would be higher if they cards were overclocked from 800MHz to 1,000MHz.

Also taking into the accounts that getting a decent 650W PSU would cost nearly around £70 anyway, might as well get a XFX Pro 850W Core for £76.

Caporegime
I don't really trust guru3D's power consumption info since they are always lower than majority of the other reviewers if I remember correctly. Also, that's just power consumption for Crossfired 6950 at stock speed...power consumption would be higher if they cards were overclocked from 800MHz to 1,000MHz.

Also taking into the accounts that getting a decent 650W PSU would cost nearly around £70 anyway, might as well get a XFX Pro 850W Core for £76.

You pays your money and you makes your choice.

Associate
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...23&subcat=1497

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory6&reid=217

Whats wrong with this 850w modular and gold rated - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-039-OC&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1098

Soldato
Associate
OP
Hi, just an upddate and a thank you. I took Marine-RX179's (Cheers mate;)) advice and managed to get a hold of the XFX 850w that he suggested, now that I am feeling a bit better gonna install it. Will post back once I have things up and running but, fingers crossed, should be good after that. :)

THANK YOU very much to all of you for your time, help, advice and recommendations it has been really helpful, thank you folks.:D

Associate
OP
Hi, another update figured since i have bored you through every other step I would keep updating until I was all set up;) Managed to get the PSU into the case with a bit of a squeeze. I have an old Antec P180 case, and the new PSU is about an inch or two longer than my previous one so i had to remove the 120mm fan from between the hd slot and the psu. I never like removing fans but the review seems to suggest the fan from the PSU will be sufficient to cool both the hd's and the PSU itself.

Also found that the PSU suppiles 2 x 4pin connectors into the motherboard, only had a single 4pin before but there are slots available for both the 4 pin connectors so need to investigate whether I should plug the second one in or not.

I had forgotten how updating a single part of your hardware starts a chain of events.....buy a GFX...need to buy a new PSU...which is almost too big for your old case....etc etc:rolleyes::D

Back
Top Bottom