PC shutting down. Please help

Associate
My other half's son is having issues. I'll post what he has written in the hope of some help. Thank you.

a few days ago I installed a new radeon RX 570 graphics card for my ******** pc, my pc is relatively old, I think 6 years, however when buying this graphics card, I spoke to the ******** service team and that is the one they recommended to work best with my computer. Once I received it, it was easy to put in and had no issue there. I did have a few issues with drivers and my pc kept shutting down around 2-3 minutes after going into the desktop, I was able to fix this with running windows repair and installing new drivers. I have also now installed a new Corsair CX750M (750 watt) power supply to help possible combat the first issue. This may have been a waste of money, however I think it will help with any upgrades in the future I guess. After being able to sort the first issue, everything mostly seemed fine, however a new issue arose. After I stopped the issue of my pc turning itself off in desktop mode (it ran fine in safe mode), I tried running a few games. I first tired GTA San Andreas, as I knew this was a relatively small game because of its age. This ran smoothly and had no issues playing it. Although, when I next tried to run CSGO I came into some issues. I was able to run the game fine and access the menu, I went into a game of deathmatch to text, and was able to get to the loading screen before my pc once again turned off. (I also have to preface and say that; when my pc turns off, it doesn't give any warning and simply powers down, no shutting down screen, no slowing down, the pc just turns off, as if the power had cut out.) I then turned my pc back on and once again tried a game, this time GTA 5, which did the same once starting up. I thought that the CPU could have been overheating, however after installing MSI Afterburner and checking directly through Radeon software, the temperature seems to sit at around 50 celcius, and only rises to around 5 when I start a game. I have come to the end of the road with this, and have tried everything that has been advised by computer experts. If anyone else has had this issue when installing a new graphics card or just has this issue in general, please help me out. I am new to any sort of PC repair etc so sorry if any information is wrong or I have missed an obvious issue.

These are a few links to images of my specs, if there is any other information or spec etc you may want to know, please let me know and I will happy send them too you.

https://imgur.com/a/orWchQP

https://imgur.com/gUniIwR

Soldato
For CPU 50C idle temperature is actually quite high.
You sure that's CPU temperature and that cooling is actually working properly?

Event viewer and reliability monitor could have also some hints about cause, unless it's complete hardware level "sudden death".
(Event ID41 tells only that power was lost without Windows knowing reason for it)

Associate
I Used to run (Still have) an FX 9590 (Toasty!) 50 DegC for a 6300 at idle seem very high! Out of interest, how many times has the thermal paste been cleaned and replaced? after 6 years of use on an FX chip I'd imagine it was non existent! or at best a very thin burnt omelette. The issues you describe seem very similar to an emergency power down due to overheat? I may be wrong, usually am.

Associate
OP
Thank you JollysH1,

It seems that the CPU, under load is reaching 74 deg. As far as I am aware the thermal paste has never been replaced. Is there any particular type you would recommend?

Soldato
Arctic MX-4 is good paste at good price.
(and no any kind electric conductivity for safety if messing it also to wrong place)

Back
Top Bottom