PC Spec Check...

Associate
Hi

I have been meaning to upgrade my PC for quite sometime now, my current spec is:

AMD Athlon [email protected]
2GB Crucial 3200
SCSI Fujistsu 15000RPM
ABIT AN7

I was wondering if someone could give me any valuable insight on the following spec:

Comp.jpg

Is the cooler sufficient? I may consider an overclock in the near future
Is the motherboard ok?
Any problems with the case? Would I need any extra fans/extensions etc?

I haven’t researched on PC components for over 5 years now so any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Soldato
Looks like an interesting spec, I will definately all work. If you are interested, I can suggest some optimisations:

The motherboard is great, but this mobo is effectively the same (minus the surplus-to-requirements heatsinks) and cost a good chunk less. This board happily overclocks to 4GHz abd above (OCUK sells pre-overclocked bundles which are already at 4GHz and use the same board).

The RAM you chose is great stuff, but this is the same speed and costs less. It is also fantastic stuff, and runs happily with a 4GHz CPU overclock.

The cooler is fine, but this one is much better and £1 cheaper.

This DVD writer is better.

I don't know much about the case, so I can't advise you on that.

Associate
OP
I need it for graphics designing and Diablo 3 (lol, when Blizzard decide to release it).

I prefer my machines to be quick, i want applications to load with the minimal of effort, slow PC's make baby jesus cry imo.

I dont want to keep upgrading my PC every year, so i thought i'd buy a decent spec machine to counter it.

EDIT:

@cmndr_andi
Thank you for the suggestions.
I am seriously considering on changing my spec to the components you recommend. You're suggestions seem Justifiable unless anyone else would like to state otherwise.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm wondering whether waiting for a month or so for the 5870x2s to come out, then buying a 4870x2 (with almost the same performance as the card you've spec'd but <£50 less even now and more so when the 5870x2s come out) might be better value? Particularly if you Crossfire it later on?

Presumably you'll want DX.11 though so that may not be the option for you.

Back
Top Bottom