PC upgrade for 3D modelling/illustration work

Associate
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my PC, I mostly use it for 3D modelling and texturing, Photoshop and occasional not too demanding gaming. I'm looking to get a touchscreen tablet too which involves a GPU with 2 HDMI ports as my current monitor already uses one of them.

It's dated from 2014 and am wondering if I should maybe get a new one built instead? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to building or upgrading as all I've ever done is installed some RAM and a new HD but could probs fit a new GPU or SSD myself, maybe get someone else to do a CPU install. I don't have a massive budget maybe up to £800, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:

Case: Zalman Z3 Plus

Intel Core i5 4670K Haswell Processor 3.40 GHz (No Overclocking)

Asus Z87-K Motherboard - Haswell CPU only

8GB Corsair/Crucial PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 4GB sticks)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650Ti Boost 2048MB Graphics Card

WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive

Corsair Value Series VS550W PSU

Thanks for looking :)

Soldato
Welcome abord.

Motherboard, memory and CPU must go.
For scale that CPU is less than half the CPU in consoles

Also that PSU is standard cheap PSU with brand sticker on it and wouldn't trust it anymore.
Unless daily usage hours have been that of "grandpa's email checking PC".

Case, HDD and graphics card could be reused.
(at the moment really bad time to buy graphics cards)

Man of Honour
Do you know where the bottlenecks are with your current tasks?

Something like a 5800X or 5900X with 32GB RAM and an SSD would be a huge upgrade, but not sure if you really need that or not.

Wouldn't bother with the GPU right now.

Associate
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my PC, I mostly use it for 3D modelling and texturing, Photoshop and occasional not too demanding gaming. I'm looking to get a touchscreen tablet too which involves a GPU with 2 HDMI ports as my current monitor already uses one of them.

It's dated from 2014 and am wondering if I should maybe get a new one built instead? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to building or upgrading as all I've ever done is installed some RAM and a new HD but could probs fit a new GPU or SSD myself, maybe get someone else to do a CPU install. I don't have a massive budget maybe up to £800, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:

What program do you use for 3D modelling? What do you model? Do you do texturing? Do you render out images?

Photoshop will run fine on basically anything modern, but the 3D modelling stuff can vary from 'fine' to 'unusable' depending on what you actually do (I have a lot of experience with this haha)

Associate
OP
3DS max, but have also stated to use substance painter, modelling mostly non organic stuff like cars, furniture ect. Haven't had the need to nicely render out images yet. My PC is running things 'fine' in general but does have the occasional slow down, I haven't ascertained yet where the bottleneck is.
Tetras yeah, I see what you mean about GPUs having read a little more about it! :-S

Man of Honour
3DS max, but have also stated to use substance painter, modelling mostly non organic stuff like cars, furniture ect. Haven't had the need to nicely render out images yet. My PC is running things 'fine' in general but does have the occasional slow down, I haven't ascertained yet where the bottleneck is.
8gb of ram is probablly not enough and the lack of a ssd .

Associate

Specs:

i would focus on at least 16gb or ram and an SSD or small nvme for live project work. Sabrent do cheap NVMe - i use for video editing then move to a HDD

Soldato

Specs:

Hi Mark, a mate of mine recently got a pc built specifically for 3DS, Lumion and photoshop work.
It was based around the 5800x cpu and 6800xt gpu with 32GB of RAM and he's very pleased with it, mostly because its extremely fast compared to the laptop he had been using.
Not sure this helps as it was quite expensive, and he was lucky getting the 6800xt at original msrp.

Soldato
Tetras yeah, I see what you mean about GPUs having read a little more about it! :-S
Depending on the scenes you do 32GB of RAM on your new system may be cutting it close. (I would not recommend 16GB) But it wil depend on your budget and what you are working on.

The 2GB of VRAM will be slowing you down in substance painter. I've got a 970 with 4GB and i've been messing with texture res while working to get it useable. Considering prices any low end card with 8GB should be a good boost.

I would say it is a good idea to have a decent CPU to fall back onto for rendering when GPU rendering is not an option. Also you may want to move onto doing simulations.

Associate
OP
Great, thank you all for your replies :) lots to think about, an SSD and some more RAM might be the option for the meantime until those GPUs start going down in price again.

Associate

Increasing from 8gb of ram should be a good step. 16gb will immediately be a big improvement, but I'd probably suggest aiming for 32 (I currently run 64). If you have an ATX system then you can forward-plan a bit by getting 2x16 sticks now, and then you have the option to get 2 more sticks sometime in the future (as long as you match brand/speed you shouldn't have an issue). Or you could save money by getting 2x8gb sticks now, and then 2 more sticks later, but that would limit you to a max of 32gb (which is probably fine tbh).

8gb of video ram is pretty much a necessity. I was hoping to get a 12gb/24gb gpu this time around, but due to the whole... situation... I'm still on an 8gb gpu, but it would still be a big improvement compared to what you have now.

Also yeh slowdowns during viewport use would be a CPU thing...

lol yeh you pretty much need newer everything. However you don't need bleeding-edge CPU to get big improvements. Get something a couple generations old (maybe a 9700k? Or a 3800x ryzen?) Which you can probably pick up used for under £100.

If I was you, I'd probably trawl ... I'm not sure if this counts as 'competition' as OC don't sell used systems?.. lets just say the well known used selling site - for someone selling their old system as a single bundle. I just found a recently sold full system, with a 1070ti and a ryzen 2700x, 16gb of decent ram, £800 total. That system would pretty much be night and day compared to what you have now.

Associate
OP
Increasing from 8gb of ram should be a good step. 16gb will immediately be a big improvement, but I'd probably suggest aiming for 32 (I currently run 64). If you have an ATX system then you can forward-plan a bit by getting 2x16 sticks now, and then you have the option to get 2 more sticks sometime in the future (as long as you match brand/speed you shouldn't have an issue). Or you could save money by getting 2x8gb sticks now, and then 2 more sticks later, but that would limit you to a max of 32gb (which is probably fine tbh).

8gb of video ram is pretty much a necessity. I was hoping to get a 12gb/24gb gpu this time around, but due to the whole... situation... I'm still on an 8gb gpu, but it would still be a big improvement compared to what you have now.

Also yeh slowdowns during viewport use would be a CPU thing...

lol yeh you pretty much need newer everything. However you don't need bleeding-edge CPU to get big improvements. Get something a couple generations old (maybe a 9700k? Or a 3800x ryzen?) Which you can probably pick up used for under £100.

If I was you, I'd probably trawl ... I'm not sure if this counts as 'competition' as OC don't sell used systems?.. lets just say the well known used selling site - for someone selling their old system as a single bundle. I just found a recently sold full system, with a 1070ti and a ryzen 2700x, 16gb of decent ram, £800 total. That system would pretty much be night and day compared to what you have now.

Great, thank you for that comprehensive answer, now if I can only figure out what well known used selling site you're on about :D

Back
Top Bottom