PC upgrade (for surpreme commander)

Associate
hello all

my current spec is

3.2GHZ
Geforce 6800GT 128MB
1024MB ram

i am looking into defenitly replaceing the Graphics card (nvidia only) , i dont think 128mb cuts it any more. and getting a gig stick of ram.

i am on a limited budget and i am still using AGP slots for the graphics card.

what would be the cheapist good card that would run surpreme commander smoothly on med settings?

Cheers all

Associate
Edit - Dammit mglover got there first ;)

SC is a pretty demanding game from the reviews I have read, so I dont know what you need to run it on medium settings.

As for the graphics card though, I think you really only have once choice, the Radeon 1950 Pro. The cheapest card being this one http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-071-HT
at £135. There is a 512mb version as well

I think thats the fasest AGP card going...

Im sure someone will argue with me though :) but that would be my choice. I really dont know how it will run SC though

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i'm mainly after nvidia cards, i have herd some bad stuff happening when swaping over card makes even after removing the drivers. i really dont want any problems, i just want to plug and play. :D

hmmm i'm finding some good 2GB kits for £100 but one thing thats confusing me is the "184pin" what exactly does that mean?

Last edited:
Associate
thats how many pins, the ram has. ddr having 184 pins for example...

pins, being the gold bits that are the connection from the ram slot to your comp.. hah thats such a bad explination.. but do tou kidna get me?

Soldato
Supreme Commander is more CPU Intensive than GPU intensive, a new graphics card will give limited improvements. Dual Core system would be an aid, the graphics aren't too heavy in the game but the calculations and physics for the weapons are the main killer.

Soldato
I've just played the demo of this and I was getting between 10 and 20fps according to fraps, I can only imagine how utterly crap the performance must be on single core processors.

Associate
OP
Theguy said:
thats how many pins, the ram has. ddr having 184 pins for example...

pins, being the gold bits that are the connection from the ram slot to your comp.. hah thats such a bad explination.. but do tou kidna get me?

so i'm going to be limited to what ram i can buy?

hmmmm i'm not going to go as far as upgrading the processer, i just dont have the cash to splash out on that type of upgrade. just the graphics card and memory, i just want to run the game as well as i can on med graphics.

Associate
OP
no its just not for SC its also for Armed Assault, and the new command and conquer.

but i dont believe that with a faster GPU and more ram i wont see any improvments. i downloaded the demo it was playing fine, just wanted some more kick to my pc thats all.

Man of Honour
Believe it or not, it won't change the fact that Supreme Commander just loves CPU goodness. The bottleneck is almost certainly with your cpu, that's all I'm saying.

For the other games it might make a difference, but to do you really want to invest money in DDR1 and AGP which has been totally phased out now?

Associate
ASROCK 775 Dual VSTA* mobo and a Core 2 Duo 4300? About 150 quid.

CPU bottleneck no longer a problem. Retains the old AGP card and memory for the interim. Means he is buying no dead end components. He can then drop in a PCI-E express card or DDR2 memory at his leisure...

* Not available on OCuk alas. Has DDR and DDR2 slots, AGP and PCI-express slots. Available for about £35

Last edited:
Zefan said:
Believe it or not, it won't change the fact that Supreme Commander just loves CPU goodness. The bottleneck is almost certainly with your cpu, that's all I'm saying.

For the other games it might make a difference, but to do you really want to invest money in DDR1 and AGP which has been totally phased out now?

I somewhat agree with zefan, your rig is out of date and I think splashing out on a e6300, 2gb ddr2 and pcie-e video card and motherboard is the way forward, cos i assume you'll be after the new c&c aswel. The asrock looks like a good idea, HOWEVER I had 3 DOA ones that took amd x2s aswel as AGP and PCIE and i ended up having to buy a pci-e card with another brand motherboard etc etc I may have just got c2duo in te flipping 1st place.

Associate
ASROCK 4CoreDual-VSTA has just been released and it is an improved version of the VSTA I recommended above. Full 1066 FSB support and a 16x PCI slot (was x4 before) et cetera et cetera.

Back
Top Bottom