pc upgrade

Associate
hello, its time to upgrade my pc, i would like to spend 500 pounds and im asking your help.
my pc:
intel core -i5 4950 3.30 Ghz
8 GB of ram , ddr 3 - 1600 mhz
Geforce GTX 760 2 GB
Asus H81M-D plus motherboard
Cooler master rs-500 psap j3 500w power suply
Please let me know what parts i have to buy for better gaming :)

Associate
Better GPU
More RAM/SSD (if not have one)
platform upgade (New CPU/RAM/MOBO)

in that order.

First thing I'd do is get a GTX 1060 or RX 580. Use the remaining money for an SSD. If you have an SSD use remaining money to go up to 16GB of RAM.

Honestly even with a new GPU your CPU is an i5, and it's a slow i5. That's going to bottleneck you in some games like Battlefield 1. It'll still be ok but you won't get the perf that someone with a 7700K @ 4.8Ghz would get.

If you want to save up some more money, say a little over 1000 pound, you could get

Ryzen 5 1600 (and overclock it)
ASUS Strix B-350-F
8 Pack 3200Mhz Team DDR4 (16GB)
GTX 1060/1070
SSD

Associate
OP
I have ssd already, using only for windows, have 2TB hdd for programs and games. Do you think I can buy your motherboard first and connect all my parts there, like gtx 760, i5 and ram ? And next month I can buy for example more ram or new gpu? What do you think

Man of Honour
Buy a new gpu first as that will give you the biggest gain.

Later a complete platform upgrade including that awful psu which has nowhere near 500w on the 12v rails (it can only deliver 360w on them). You cannot buy a motherboard now and plug everything else into it and add to it each month as they are different platforms. You will need to save up and buy the cpu, motherboard and fast DDR4 all in one go.

Soldato
Yeh, I was just going to mention the PSU. As pastymuncher says, it's a poor unit. PSU is a critical part of any system as it supplies power to everything.

PSU quality is not purely related to the wattage rating, more important that the internal components are of high quality.

GPU and quality PSU should be your first purchases.

Something like this for the PSU:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga...plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-026-ea.html

Although you'd be fine with the 550watt version.

Soldato
I would agree with adding another 8gb of ram. However, if the op is going to be doing a full platform upgrade later on, it would make sense to leave this for now and buy 16gb of ddr4 along with the new motherboard and cpu.

But yes, good point regarding the resolution. If only 1080p, a gtx 1060 would be perfect. If 1440p or higher, go for a 1070.

Associate
OP
It's a bit expensive, 400£ just for gpu, plus 100£ for psu, that's all my budget hahah, by the way if I'm gonna use this 1070 on my old Asus motherboard, do you think it will use all max from that card or no ?

Soldato
It's a bit expensive, 400£ just for gpu, plus 100£ for psu, that's all my budget hahah, by the way if I'm gonna use this 1070 on my old Asus motherboard, do you think it will use all max from that card or no ?

CPU would probably be a slight bottleneck in some games. But they would still run well.

If you rather spend less and save some cash towards the motherboard / CPU upgrade, then go for a 1060 and a slightly cheaper PSU.

You can get get a decent 550watt for around £60.

Edit: something like this
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/supe...0-plus-gold-power-supply-black-ca-003-sf.html

And GPU
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/zota...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-105-zt.html

The 1070 is quite a bit faster for the extra £120 though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom