My current spec is:

AMD R7 3700X
Gigabyte AORUS P750W Plus Gold
GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
Alphenfogn Brocken ECO Advanced CPU Cooler
Gigabyte X570 GAMING X
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4

Nothing is overclocked.

I am waiting for an RTX 3080 or RX 6900 XT. Whilst I wait, what can I look at upgrading to push my build forward for gaming purposes? I like to game at 1440p on Warzone and other games. Presumably a new cpu and better cooling would be the first port of call?

Associate
OP
Should I get another 16GB of the Corsair Vengeance or upgrade it?

I was thinking about getting a better cooler, maybe an AIO water cooler? Are the existing CPUs not worth the cost then for the increase in performance?

Man of Honour
Should I get another 16GB of the Corsair Vengeance or upgrade it?

I was thinking about getting a better cooler, maybe an AIO water cooler? Are the existing CPUs not worth the cost then for the increase in performance?
£300 + to upgrade your cpu for maybe a 20% increase dont seem worth it, i would suggest looking at benchmarks before you decide.

Ram depends what speed your using now but 3200mhz to 3600mhz is ideal.

Your cpu cooler is good value option but if you want to go aio cooler then go for it.

Soldato
The 3700X is a great CPU, and it isn't hot running so I doubt you'll need a new HSF.

Have you tried monitoring your temperatures and CPU/GPU usage in games? You can do this with MSI Afterburners OSD, I'd highly recommend doing so before shelling out money on things you probably don't need to.

Associate
OP
Appreciate the suggestions.

I mainly play Warzone at 1440p and am getting 80-90 FSP (or down to 40 when server is doing its' thing). Temp peaks at 80 but I really want to increase the FPS in game. I can switch to 1080p and get 120 FPS but the quality is awful.

Edit - current ram is 3600mhz

Soldato
Appreciate the suggestions.

I mainly play Warzone at 1440p and am getting 80-90 FSP (or down to 40 when server is doing its' thing). Temp peaks at 80 but I really want to increase the FPS in game. I can switch to 1080p and get 120 FPS but the quality is awful.

Edit - current ram is 3600mhz

Check GPU/CPU usage via MSI Afterburner OSD, it'll tell you where you're having the problem and need to focus on. I highly expect it's the GPU in your case, but Warzone can be iffy even on the best of systems.

Associate
OP
Firstly Merry Christmas to everyone, hope you are all enjoying it as best you can given the current situation.

I have downloaded MSI Afterburner to check later on, will let you know the results.

My wife has kindly suggested I go ahead and splash out on a 3090 (think it may be due to guilt of her receiving a bag of presents from me and her buying me some gloves...). If I were to go ahead with that, please could I have some advise on the following:

1) Aside from a power supply and ram upgrade, would I need anything else? Presumably a new cooler to offset card upgrade would be needed? I don't know anything about water cooling so would like to avoid that if an AIO water cooler be sufficient?

2) It looks like the majority of the main 3090s are in the same short supply as all 3080s, leaving Palit/Zotac and the odd MSI SUPRIM available. Are these decent cards or am I better off waiting for one of the better ones to become available?

I am by no means definitely going ahead with a purchase, I just want to get an idea of total cost and viability before I make any decisions.

Edit - it is the gpu holding back current system, cpu usage hits 60% max in game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom