PC vs Xbox 360 hypothetically...

Associate
y running this PC:

AMD64 2.4Ghz 512k L2 Cache
2gb Geil value DDR400
6800GT 256mb AGP
X-Fi xtreme music
Tagan 480W PSU

I have 5.1 Logitech z5500's which either PC or 360 can use. Now, I have a large purse of monies to spend - probably around £400 - but I am trying to make a sensible decision. This is purely hypothetical, but do you think it would be better to buy a premium 360, and shelling out for games which are £50 each, or spending more on a PC, if I could hypothetically get PC games for free?

The main stead behind the argument is the dominance of system exclusive games to the 360 versus the PC. I play RPGs, then FPS's. I've never played multiplayer stuff regularly, but the missus is possibly interested in playing racing games on the 360, which might be quite neat.

Advice? Opinions?

Associate
As much as I hate consoles, I believe that the 360 is actually really good. However, you need a REALLY good TV to match. With £400 I'm not really sure you'd be able to match a 360's performance.. but I'm really not sure.

If it was me, though, I'd take the PC anyday. I don't really like console games as they're usually pretty dumbed down and playing FPS is a bit of a joke. I'm not really up on RPGs for consoles, but you have to remember that the PC has the advtantage of being moddable, whereas I'm not sure the Xbox has (i.e TES Construction kit, etc). You can also bet that the best RPGs will be on PC (I think Final Fantasy is gay ^^).

Just my opinion.

Caporegime
Well in the long run the pc would cost less, because as you said the price of games... It completley depends what games you want to play though, most people prefer to play fps with keyboard and mouse, and then theres series of games that are only avalible for one console, like final fantasy for the ps2. For £400 you could easily match the 360, the only thing that needs upgrading is the gfx card.

Associate
on blind faith get a 360 ,where games are concerned if there isnt now there will be an update so the 360 supports usb mice and keyboards so fps are sorted there but on practicality go for the pc.
when the graphics cards move up another gear so can you. its the age old story pc's are just a lot more freedome for you oriantated pc forever imho but personel prefrance is a big part of any large cash decision

Soldato
With £400 you could buy a nice graphics card like one these 7900gt 256mb / x1800xt 512mb and a new motherboard...
Sell your old graphics card , motherboard and cpu and use that money to upgrade your cpu etc..

Buy an xbox gamepad for the PC so your misses can play racing games on it..

Last edited:
Soldato
the way i would look at this is the fact that an xbox 360 will last you a good few years and not be out of date where as a graphics card will be out of date a few months later most likely

Soldato
Dreadi said:
the way i would look at this is the fact that an xbox 360 will last you a good few years and not be out of date where as a graphics card will be out of date a few months later most likely

- A graphics card may be "out of date" a few months later, but if its a top end one, it will still play all games maxed out at a high res without flinching.

From previous threads, this is what I get...

- A PC, although costing more for same performance levels, will be able to do much more than a 360.

- A 360 is the way to go if you want overall decent performance, something to sit in the living room and play games with mates (multiplayer, through live or conventional)

- If you want hassle free gaming, guaranteed compatibility and dont mind paying the earth for games, 360 all the way.

- If you like mods, FPS or strategy and a good ol keyboard and mouse, go for a PC.

/thread

Anyone else think the 360vsPC debate has been done to the earth? ;)

Associate
OP
Lots of very good points, greatly appreciated. One thing I thought of is that I should probably give some weight to the system exclusive game catalogue situation. The only reason I'm even considering getting a console is because the PC games seem to be drying up. I read through a list of PC exclusive games for the comming year, and there are only a handful in the lineup for the YEAR that I even like the look of. I know this'll be added to, but would you agree it might be smart of me to compare lists of games rather than fretting myself about cards and consoles? Any other thoughts? Btw I meant playing games with her.

Fluff_eei

Soldato
The 360 rinses any pc game out there, and will for a few years.

bare with me on this
The reason i say this, is because if you have to create a game that has to have the ability to work on various different cards, at various different levels its makes the ability to make games harder.

It makes the game take longer, and because of changing technology a much slower process.
However if you know your limits, and there the best on the market pretty much at the mo, too one specification games are much easier to create to the maximum.

I believe the 360 has one teroflop of processing power, and is equivalent to a cray super computer built in 1995

Soldato
You got a fairly high spec pc there all ready..So it maybe best to just buy the xbox360 now and later you can upgrade the PC if you still want to..

But the price of games on the xbox360 is a killer...

Example
tomb raider legends
PC = £17.99
xbox360 = £39.99

But then again you can still get secondhand xbox360 games for £20 to £30

Last edited:
Soldato
These PC V 360 debates have been done to death but heres my opinion.

Its all about the games.

Look at the upcoming games on both platforms and decide which of the two appeals to you the most.

If you like the look of upcoming 360 games, get an XBOX.

Like future PC titles? Spend the money on upgrades.

Its pretty simple. No need to debate about graphics GPU's, resolution, blah, blah (check out the stupid thread in graphics forum).

Associate
GuruJockStrap said:
These PC V 360 debates have been done to death but heres my opinion.

Its all about the games.

Look at the upcoming games on both platforms and decide which of the two appeals to you the most.

If you like the look of upcoming 360 games, get an XBOX.

Like future PC titles? Spend the money on upgrades.

Its pretty simple. No need to debate about graphics GPU's, resolution, blah, blah (check out the stupid thread in graphics forum).

I have to agree with this, I wanted to play Star Wars: Empire at War which is only available on the PC, based on that I go for PC rather then consoles.

Soldato
The problem I have with consoles I buy a couple of games that intrest me at the time then I end up not seeing any other games I like for ages so the console gathers dust.

Where I'm always getting new PC games as there always seems to be something to my liking.

Associate
For me xbox 360 games have been cheaper than PC games.

I have bought my 360 games for £39.99 and sold them for about £30.00 each when finished. Some games like GRAW only cost £34.99.

Never bothered selling PC games as 2nd hand value is poor.

Associate
OP
I strongly agree with you Guru, and I know exactly what you mean watchtower.

The price of games is what kills the consoles for me. I think I may upgrade my PC and hold on until the 360 gets chipped, purely hypothetically of course.

Fluff_eei

Back
Top Bottom