PC won't boot - dead PSU or MB?

Associate
So I haven't used my PC for a few weeks and when I hit the power button just now, the fans span up for a few seconds but nothing else happened; basically it's completely dead.

I guess it's getting on a bit, but was working fine the other day... does another have any suggests how to fault check the PC when I can't even get it to post?

Thanks,

Slack

Associate
OP
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Intel Z68
Antec TruePower New Modular 650W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply
Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
Gelid Tranquillo CPU Cooler
Crucial BX500 240GB SSD (replaced a few months ago)
Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD
Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X OC

I'm guessing it's either the PSU (fixable) or the MB which would make it difficult as 1155 motherboards are hard to find these days.

Man of Honour
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Intel Z68
Antec TruePower New Modular 650W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply
Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
Gelid Tranquillo CPU Cooler
Crucial BX500 240GB SSD (replaced a few months ago)
Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD
Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X OC

I'm guessing it's either the PSU (fixable) or the MB which would make it difficult as 1155 motherboards are hard to find these days.
Any lights on the motherboard or debug code , try clearing the cmos .

Associate
OP
The MB lit up for a brief second, although I didn't get chance to catch the code and when I try again the MB doesn't light up and just the fans spin for a second. I've tried to reset the CMOS but hasn't made a difference.

Here's a video of what it does (I know the gfx card is missing, I took it out to clear the CMOS)

Associate
OP
Check all cables , try one stick of memory to boot but there could be any number of reasons for failure such as psu, faulty cpu or motherboard.

Cheers, took everything out the case, rewired everything and tried to boot with the minimum attached but it's still the same I'll order a new PSU and see if that fixes it.

Soldato
While well built and modern design for its time, that PSU has certainly seen use.

But besides PSU get new "BIOS" battery.
Weak battery can cause weird symptoms.

Associate
OP
Lets us know how you get on , good luck.

Will do, I have a spare PSU at my parents somewhere that I'll pick up tomorrow

While well built and modern design for its time, that PSU has certainly seen use.

But besides PSU get new "BIOS" battery.
Weak battery can cause weird symptoms.

Good point, I've had them die on me before after ~10yrs so worth replacing.

Soldato
you havent accedently mixed up psu cables by chance and used a 8pin eps from another psu to the one you are using, not long a go i was trying to help another forum member with the same non boot up issues and in the end he had a miss match cable with the wrong pin out plugged in and that was causing the problem, a replacment cable was recived and once plugged in his pc sprung to life.

check your psu cables and make sure they are correct for the psu your running

Associate
OP
The old girl lives again :)

Looks like the old psu died and she's running like new now I've replaced it. Thanks for your help and suggestion all, looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer for a new PC...

Back
Top Bottom